Can Russians Swim?

Hi, I heard that Russians can't swim, is it true? I haven't tried anything because I don't want Roxy to drown. Can anyone help me?

Thank you so much,
Kayla

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's usually the tortoises with high domed shells that have enough air inside to be buoyant. My desert tortoises sink like a stone, and I would imagine Russians would too.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Tortoises are land dwelling for a reason. They have clubed feet, not webbed toes. As mentioned above, some have enough air space in there shell to float but that's not really swimming. Most species of tortoises, to include yours, sink right to the bottom and would die.

Please don't take that as a reason to not have access to water. Soaking your tort in warm water is a must. You just don't want the water to be above your torts head. Most love to soak.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The only way to really know if yours can would be to try it, supervised of course. Then you will know. However, no tortoise should be left with water deep enough to swim or drown in. Tortoises only need to soak, not swim

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi, I heard that Russians can't swim, is it true? I haven't tried anything because I don't want Roxy to drown. Can anyone help me?

Thank you so much,
Kayla
Dear Kayla, as Tortdad mentioned above, they are not built for swimming. They do however enjoy having body of water nearby like nice big puddle, or water dish big enough for them to get in and sit in water on warm day. There is a forum member who was rehabbing rescued RF tortoise with severe MBD who had lost function of her hind legs. He was doing daily aquatic exercises with her with great success

Thank you! I was just curious because I heard that they could swim and I didn't think that it was possible because of their shells. Also, when I soak Roxy, should the water be just above his head or under his chin?

Thanks again,
Kayla

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thank you! I was just curious because I heard that they could swim and I didn't think that it was possible because of their shells. Also, when I soak Roxy, should the water be just above his head or under his chin?

Thanks again,
Kayla
NEVER ABOVE HIS HEAD!!!! Remember, SAFETY FIRST! Most people put just enough water to come up to the torts sides. They need to be able to be comfortable and chill enjoying their bath

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Water should be deep enough to come just up over the join between the shell and the plastron... no more.

As long as the slope into the water is gently graded and not slippy, so your tort can get out easily, it doesn't matter if the water does get deeper. It is then your tort's choice on how deep to go and your tort has the means of easily escaping.

Some do seem to enjoy deep water - Maggie3fan has a Sulcata that loves it - but most torts appear more cautious. Personally, I think owners of torts should be cautious too; I'd rather not have a drowning accident on my conscience.

Some torts put their heads completely under water to drink (my Joe didn't) Don't confuse this with an ability to swim though :)

I don't think Roxy puts his head fully under while drinking, so I am not worried about being confused. I usually put the water up to his chin, he seemed to like it, so should I still make it lower? Thanks for all of the great advice. ;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don't think Roxy puts his head fully under while drinking, so I am not worried about being confused. I usually put the water up to his chin, he seemed to like it, so should I still make it lower? Thanks for all of the great advice. ;)
It depends how high he's having to hold his up for it to be chin level ;)

Seriously though, as long as it's not hard for him to get his mouth above water it should be fine. Your tort should be able to be relaxed in the bath :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I think tortoise are more capable of swimming than we think. Can't imagine an area where they might be forced to do that in a monsoon downpour. So, I can't imagine them not being able to deal with deeper water as a survival mechanism. One of our members @kingsley even posted this picture of a Sri Lankan Star he found swimming across a small lake.

I bet they can control their buoyancy just like turtles. A turtle can make itself sink, or float depending upon the amount of air it chooses to hold in its lungs. The few times I have had tortoises in deeper water, I've seen the same thing. If they wander deeper of their own accord, they tend to hold air and will float and swim. If surprised, a tortoise normally releases most of its air to pull into its shell. If dropped in the water at that time, it will sink.

Star swimming.jpg

whisper

5 Year Member
SE FL
I think it's simply that they are lucky enough to float and happen to be trying to walk. Hence, they are "swimming"