Can some one tell me what kind of tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xzoex777

5 Year Member
Hi could any one tell me what kind of tortoise this is?it has spurs on back legs,my mother was given it last year and now I have it I need to know as much as possible so I can take proper care of it as I have never had a tortoise before I've been having a look online and the photos that look most like it are tunisian spur thighed? but I really dont know.
thank you

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 135

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi xzoex777:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your problem.

The mediterranean species of tortoise are not my forte, so I'll defer your I.D. to some of our more knowledgeable members. My guess would be Hermann's, but don't hold me to it. :p

xzoex777

5 Year Member
Hi Thank you I'm in the north of England My name is Zoe the tortoise is Josephine.

jkingler

5 Year Member
My first guess was also going to be that it was a Hermann's or some other sort of Mediterranean Tortoise/Testudo like a Greek, but I don't know much, and I know that identification can be tricky.

Your best bet will be to post more pictures (e.g. a picture of the entire shell from above so that the scutes can be seen clearly, a picture of the entire underside from below so plastron patterns can be discerned - and maybe even a picture focusing around the belly and tail area if it is old enough to tell the sex ;)) and, of course, to wait for someone more knowledgeable to come and post in here. :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I'm not the best with identifying Mediterraneans either, but she looks almost identical to my little Greek ;)

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Looks like a herman of some sort... if you can take pictures of the bottom plastron that would further help in determining what it is.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
If it has spurs on the back of it's thighs, it's not a Hermann's, as they have a spur on the tip of their tail, instead...if it has both, it could be a hermanni/graeca hybrid...rare but not impossible.

So that likely narrows it down to a Greek of some sort (a Tunisian is a subspecies of the Greek clan, btw). Very pretty makings. If you can put up the pics Joe suggested, it'll make a more exact identification much easier.

xzoex777

5 Year Member
Mao Senpai said:
Looks like a herman of some sort... if you can take pictures of the bottom plastron that would further help in determining what it is.

These arent very good pics.

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    743.3 KB · Views: 53

xzoex777

5 Year Member
Hi I'm finding it difficult replying I only joined today and dont really know how lol.

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    743.3 KB · Views: 29

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It looks to be a North African "Greek" species, Testudo gracea nabeulensis. Absolutely not Hermann's or other Northern Mediterranean species/subspecies.

Can you post some photos of the plastron and the head?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Welcome Zoe. Your tort is very pretty. I am in California and love that we get to hear from and learn about torts from people all over the world. I can't help you with an ID but we have a lot of tortie experts here that can pretty much help you with anything :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
xzoex777 said:
Hi I'm finding it difficult replying I only joined today and dont really know how lol.

When you are new to the forum, your first five posts are moderated to help weed out spammers. So when you make a post, it doesn't show up right away, because a moderator has to approve it. After your fifth post, your posts will show up as soon as you make them.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Actually, Zoe, you hit the nail right on the head. It is indeed a Tunisian spur-thighed!

Status
Not open for further replies.