Can someone help me determine if its a girl or a boy

fritz269

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hi,
I originally thought I had a girl but the more I look the more i think it might be a boy. Here are some pictures.

Thanks!
Raul

Attachments

• 20180412_192443.jpg
    20180412_192443.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
  • 20180412_192458.jpg
    20180412_192458.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • 20180412_192508.jpg
    20180412_192508.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's a tuff one. Scutes and space between the top and bottom shell in the tail area look more female but that bigger longer tail looks male.
How old and is the plastron concaved at all?

fritz269

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
The plastron is a bit concave. As far as age, I am not sure. I have had her/him for about 2 years but was adopted after a divorced parent did not want it. I was confident it was a girl until looking again and then the pacing began. I started researching a little and now I am leaning towards male. Will I have to wait a bit longer you think?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With some concaving, I would also say male. I have a male that has never flashed and then another that flashed at 3 years. They are both the same age, give or take a month or so. My male that has never flashed was slow to grow due to its care before I rescued him. Which I believe is making him slow to mature. However, he acts very male, looks male after a long time looking female, and does have the concaved plastron, just not as concaved yet as my other male.
I would be within the next year he, yours, will show more obvious signs.

fritz269

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
With some concaving, I would also say male. I have a male that has never flashed and then another that flashed at 3 years. They are both the same age, give or take a month or so. My male that has never flashed was slow to grow due to its care before I rescued him. Which I believe is making him slow to mature. However, he acts very male, looks male after a long time looking female, and does have the concaved plastron, just not as concaved yet as my other male.
I would be within the next year he, yours, will show more obvious signs.
That's what I suspected. We have a female russian that is very female looking. This one threw me for a loop.
Now to tell the fiance that our baby girl is really a boy.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I would guess female the scutes are funny on the top shell . Telling me it was incabated at a higher temp . And my female leopards are rounder and my males are thinner . But I’m only guessing please let me know the out come !