Status
Not open for further replies.

hongmoko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal
Good day ladies and gentlemen,

Would someone be able to ID this tortoise that I have come accross and would like to bring it home?

The current owner says that it is about 40 years old, male, but has forgotten its species.

I would like research on its requirements in order to determine whether or not I can provide a good housing for it.

Regards,

Brian

Attachments

• pepere10.jpg
    pepere10.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 44

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
hongmoko said:
Good day ladies and gentlemen,

Would someone be able to ID this tortoise that I have come accross and would like to bring it home?

The current owner says that it is about 40 years old, male, but has forgotten its species.

I would like research on its requirements in order to determine whether or not I can provide a good housing for it.

Regards,

Brian

Definitely a Greek subspecies. It's difficult to tell by the photo (the tortoise is kind of dusty too), but looks like it could be an Ibera Greek, Testudo (gracea) ibera. They are temperate climate species experiencing true seasonal changes in the wild. If it is an Ibera they are very cold hardy and very hardy and active in captivity. Great tortoises.

Additional photos from above and of the tortoise's plastron would help better to identify him. How long has the previous owner had him?

Status
Not open for further replies.