Can someone identify this tortoise species?

lemonbrains

Location (City and/or State)
Neverland
Can anyone help me identify the species of my tortoise? Please and thank you!! I'm confused whether its a Sulcata or a Hermann's tortoise.

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 7.41.21 PM.png

lemonbrains

Neverland
Hi guys!! I just rescued two tortoises and I was wondering if someone could tell me what species they are?? I'm confused I tried googling all species and I think they either resemble Sulcata or Hermann's tortoises. Please help!! Thank you!

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 7.57.11 PM.pngWhatsApp Image 2018-12-19 at 7.52.19 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2018-12-19 at 7.52.20 PM.jpeg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Could you give us pictures of their plastrons? They’re either hermanns or Greeks.

Keep in mind that these are solitary species that cannot be kept in pairs. They will require a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet each as adults.

Welcome to the forum :)

lemonbrains

Neverland
Could you give us pictures of their plastrons? They’re either hermanns or Greeks.

Keep in mind that these are solitary species that cannot be kept in pairs. They will require a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet each as adults.

Welcome to the forum :)
Thank you! Here! I've uploaded two pictures of both, front and back. if you can also tell the gender then please do share! thank you!

P.S. Each turtle has a different background, thats how you can tell which one's which.

t2 back.jpegt2 front.jpegt1 front.jpegt1 back.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

I think it's a Greek tortoise, but I'm not sure. @HermanniChris is very good at I.D.ing baby tortoises. I've sent him an alert.

Last edited:

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio

lemonbrains

Neverland
Hard to be certain with babies with no origin info but they appear to be T. g. terrestris of some form.

Sorry for asking for too much but... can you also tell what age they are?

Also, one of them hates water and every time i put her in the water for even one second, she tries to climb out. The other one, however, loves it and doesn't ever want to come out. I usually make sure the water is warm so I'm pretty sure my water isn't the problem but I'm concerned about her! :/

She's very active and is always running around the place. I don't want her to get dehydrated :(

Any piece of advice would help. Thanks

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
This is just a guess but I think 3 to 4 months old. Don't worry about asking to many questions this is what the forum is for, I ask lots of questions aswell. What do you bathe them in, you may need a container with high sides so they cannot see out. Don't worry about the one trying to climb out, you have to be cruel to be kind if that makes sense and keep putting him back in, he will get used to it. Good luck:)