Can someone please take Odin? -Sulcata, 3 years old

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
I can't believe I am writing this, but I just can't do it right now.
On the 28th of July of this year, I lost my middle son, the Marine, and my youngest (Odin's dad) is getting married in February. The original plan was for me to keep him until my youngest and his future wife got settled (likely at least a year or two), but with my youngest boys questionable plans and with the loss of my other son I can barely take care of myself right now. I am hoping to rehome Odin before winter sets in here in MN, and since I have not returned to work since it happened and don't intend to for a while at least, I can drive him or ship him, but I would probably prefer to drive him.
Having been a member here for the last few years I will not entertain anything but the most serious offers from established owners. I NEED to see your set-ups and you MUST have the knowledge and time to love him and care for him as I have.
I haven't thought anything about equipment, cost or any of that nonsense, so we can discuss, I just want him to be happy, and I can't provide that right now.

If you need any info on Odin, check my old threads. He is grumpy, beautiful and spoiled rotten. Of course I will answer any questions you have also.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I am deeply sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you are going through. I will pray for you, and your family.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My thoughts and condolences on your loss.

I am sure you will find a good fit for Odin. Do you want a permanent relocation or are you also open to a long term foster situation? There are likely members who can help you either way.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am so sorry to hear this. I have no words. God Bless you and your family in this unimaginably difficult time.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
My thoughts and condolences on your loss.

I am sure you will find a good fit for Odin. Do you want a permanent relocation or are you also open to a long term foster situation? There are likely members who can help you either way.

Thank you.
I don't have an answer for that. Both I and my son would love to be able to see him again, but his plans are very much in flux (20 years old, hasn't finished school, crappy job, getting married, had no business getting a sully in the first place) and, to be blunt, I am a damn basket case. I suppose I would be open to discussions on both fronts.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I am so sorry for your loss. I loss my son too, and I'm just learning how to breathe again. There are no words that anyone can give you right now, but someone sent this to me when Jim died. It meant nothing to me at the time, but now, sometimes I look at the card and it makes some sense to me.
"You'll never get over it. It's never going to be ok, and once you except that you realize you never want to get over it. Just kind of let it sit with you and let it be a part of who you are now." God bless you.

Claiby

Sahuarita, AZ
I am new here. I am in AZ. I would be honored to take care of Odin for you. I have a brand new leopard tortoise and it is my intention to provide him with an amazing home, and would do nothing short of the same for Odin. PM me if you're interested. My prayers go out to you and your family.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am so very sorry. I have no idea what your going through. I can only imagine. Hang in there and do what ever is needed to help you through this. Again, I am so very sorry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't forget, we are here as a shoulder to cry on too. If you just need to vent, cry, talk, scream. We have great members that will be there to listen.
@terryo that goes for you too.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I am so sorry for your loss. I loss my son too, and I'm just learning how to breathe again. There are no words that anyone can give you right now, but someone sent this to me when Jim died. It meant nothing to me at the time, but now, sometimes I look at the card and it makes some sense to me.
"You'll never get over it. It's never going to be ok, and once you except that you realize you never want to get over it. Just kind of let it sit with you and let it be a part of who you are now." God bless you.
We received a card from my husbands uncle that really hit me, It was titled "The Oak Tree"
The front says:

A mighty wind blew night and day
It stole the oak trees leaves away
Then snapped it's boughs and pulled it's bark
Until the oak was tired and stark
But still the oak tree held it's ground
While other trees fell around

Inside it says:

The weary wind gave up and spoke
"How can you still be standing, Oak?"
The oak tree said " I know that you
Can break each branch of mine in two,
Carry every leaf away,
Shake my limbs and make me sway
But I have roots stretched in the earth
Growing stronger since my birth
You'll never touch them, for you see,
they are the deepest part of me
Until today I wasn't sure
Of just how much I could endure
But now i've found, with thanks to you
I'm stronger than I ever knew
~~~~~

I'm going to be the oak, just not now.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure the forum can help him with a new forever home, if that's what you need.

daniellenc

Maryland
How deeply heartbreaking for you and your family. Do you know anyone locally who may home Odin for awhile until you're ready? I know someone here will come through but it would be nice if he was close and you had the option of taking him back.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm sorry that this has happened to you and your family. I wish I had the power to change it. I want you to know that there are people all across the world who think you are wonderful, like me, and you are not alone. We mourn with you.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
So sorry for your loss . I thank your son for his time in the military. So much respect for selfless people who live for others. Again sorry this happened to you .

christykindness

5 Year Member
Fallon, NV
I can't believe I am writing this, but I just can't do it right now.
On the 28th of July of this year, I lost my middle son, the Marine, and my youngest (Odin's dad) is getting married in February. The original plan was for me to keep him until my youngest and his future wife got settled (likely at least a year or two), but with my youngest boys questionable plans and with the loss of my other son I can barely take care of myself right now. I am hoping to rehome Odin before winter sets in here in MN, and since I have not returned to work since it happened and don't intend to for a while at least, I can drive him or ship him, but I would probably prefer to drive him.
Having been a member here for the last few years I will not entertain anything but the most serious offers from established owners. I NEED to see your set-ups and you MUST have the knowledge and time to love him and care for him as I have.
I haven't thought anything about equipment, cost or any of that nonsense, so we can discuss, I just want him to be happy, and I can't provide that right now.

If you need any info on Odin, check my old threads. He is grumpy, beautiful and spoiled rotten. Of course I will answer any questions you have also.
As a veteran, and mother of a Sailor, my heart is breaking for you and your family. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
So so very sorry for your loss. I know you will find a living home for Odin here. I'm praying for you and your family.

BigandSmallTortoise

Hello....I am so saddened by your story and I would love to help in any way possible! I am a tortoise rescue / sanctuary in Ames, Iowa. That seems to be fairly close if both parties are willing to drive some. I would be happy to have him in our sanctuary so you can always get updates and pictures from us. I may even consider adopting him back to you after a few years given there was mutual trust and a good relationship between us. something to consider... just want to help if I can.