Can someone show a Herman tortoise enclosure?

Sunny_Sunday

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I would like to see your enclosure for Herman tortoise with plastic tubs because I’m getting one and needs some ideas to make sure my tortoise is properly being taken care of.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I would like to see your enclosure for Herman tortoise with plastic tubs because I’m getting one and needs some ideas to make sure my tortoise is properly being taken care of.
Hello,

I am not aware of a plastic tub that would be big enough for a 4 inch Hermann’s tortoise (I saw your previous post referencing size). As Tom mentioned in another one of your threads, you should be looking at 4 foot x 8 foot enclosure. You can Google pvc or expanded pvc reptile enclosures. I understand there are quite a few companies in the US who make and sell them, or you could try and hire someone locally to make one to your specifications. 4 x 8 might seem overkill, but I promise it’s not. Hermann’s tortoises are very active and need a lot of room to roam. It aids in digestion, keeps their nails trim and gives enough room for them to explore in different microclimates. That’s another issue with plastic tubs. Most are not big enough to have a a temperature gradient that allows the tortoise to thermo-regulate. Do it right the first time and you’ll have a happier, healthier tortoise and you won’t be looking for a new enclosure in a few months once you realize the tub is too small and not cutting it. Alternately, some people have success with using grow tents as enclosures. It’s cost effective and you can get quite large ones. If you use the search feature, you’ll find some awesome set ups. For my Hermann’s tortoise (will be 4 in May), I used expanded pvc for this enclosure and it was so worth the investment. It’s heat resistant and will never rot. It looks great and is very easy to clean. Good luck on your hunt, and good for you for doing research in advance of getting your tortoise.

Wishbone

oklahoma city
I use an insulated dog house(you can google them) I got from tractor supply. I keep mine indoors in my study. The insulation really helps keep the temps up. And being a dog house it's very large. I cut holes in the roof for the lighting.