Can someone tell me what kind of tortoise this is?

Dumbletorts

A friend found this tortoise in her back yard. Can anyone tell me what kind it is? We had California desert tortoises in the past so when I saw this one I wasn't too sure that it was even a tortoise and not a turtle. Any help identifying would be appreciated!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
It does appear that it might be a very dry Asian box turtle (maybe ambo), but more photos would help. Like the plastron and face. They are all semi aquatic, some subspecies more than others.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very good looking tort/turtle.:)

Sorry cannot tell you what species it is-am no tort expert.:( Hope the experienced members will be able to answer your question.

A very warm welcome to the forum!:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That' poor turtle needs to be in some water. In the wild, they will often live in almost entirely in water only emerging to bask and to lay eggs. They can even mate in the water.

Note that his toes are very short. This is an indication of a calcium poor diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have very limited knowledge of these things, but from looking at internet pics, my best guess is Cuora flavomarginata. Somebody nearby is very bummed about losing a very special turtle. Every effort should be made to find the owner. Make and post fliers and go door to door knocking. Its likely that one of your friend's next door neighbors, or someone close by, lost this precious little guy or gal.

A warm water tub will help tremendously. Just make sure the turtle doesn't overheat, and make sure that the turtle can climb out of the water if it wants to. They can eventually drown if the water is too deep, and they can't get out.

Dumbletorts

Thanks guys. We are located in south Orange County, Ca. She asked around but nobody is claiming her. There is a stream nearby that houses other turtles that we will take it to since neither of us will be able to care for it.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I'm not an aquatics person, but I did an image search and came up with a yellow marinated box turtle. Thats a possibility.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks guys. We are located in south Orange County, Ca. She asked around but nobody is claiming her. There is a stream nearby that houses other turtles that we will take it to since neither of us will be able to care for it.

NO!!! Don't do that. It is illegal to release exotic turtles into U.S. waterways. This turtle comes from Asia and belongs to someone. If you can't find it's owner either by knocking on doors or advertising in the paper, then turn it over to a rescue.

Dumbletorts

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. We didn't release it, he's still with us. I think mtclong is correct and it does very much look like a yellow marginated box turtle. Extremely rare and protected. If no one claims it we will take it to the Laguna Beach animal rescue. We bought it some food and it has water and he's in a large enclosure in the backyard for now. Hopefully he's happy.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
It's def. Not in the best shape. Idk if it's 100 percent a Chinese box turtle. But def. Looks like an asian species a lot of them need a Lot of water. It looks like it's been kept dry. Then again souther ca. Is a very dry place.

Kyle

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Hi guys, thanks for the advice. We didn't release it, he's still with us. I think mtclong is correct and it does very much look like a yellow marginated box turtle. Extremely rare and protected. If no one claims it we will take it to the Laguna Beach animal rescue. We bought it some food and it has water and he's in a large enclosure in the backyard for now. Hopefully he's happy.
They are rare in the wild like most asian species. Not as rare in the pet trade. They Been sucessfully bred and afforsable. I have 1 . everually get more.

Kyle

dovelett15

10 Year Member!
Without a doubt that is a Chinese box turtle ( Cuora flavomarginata). Appears that prior owner raised it in a dry environment. Needs humidity. Otherwise appears healthy!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Cuora flavomarginata, 100%. I have 14 of them. This turtle is not in bad shape. The growth is not perfect, but it is far from bad.

Can you provide photos of the tail from underneath so we can let you know the gender?

The narrow shape of the head makes me think female, but the tail from the above angle makes me think it might be male.