Can Star Tortoise Eat this Flower?

seanang168

10 Year Member!
I have two big pots of this plant which we commonly called it Water Jasmine in South East Asia. The flowers blooms quite frequently and the size is small. This plant is usually used in making Bonsai.

I got no experience in using flowers to feed my tortoise. Do you think the leaves and the flowers can be used to feed my Star Tortoise? I do not use any chemicals on my plants. I tend to buy vegetables from the supermarket to feed my tortoise

Attachments

• water jasmine.jpg
    water jasmine.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 27

seanang168

10 Year Member!
I proceeded to feed the water jasmine flowers to my Stars. The female eats it as she eats almost anything but male reluctantly eats a few. This is first time I feed flowers to the tortoise

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Thanks @Anyfoot , based on the link, it seems that water jasmine might not be a good food source
'The tortoise table' website is extremely conservative, my reds eat things that is a no no on that website. I think it's more based on the Mediterranean species.
Not saying feed it though. I often wonder how we come to the conclusion what's good and what's not.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
'The tortoise table' website is extremely conservative, my reds eat things that is a no no on that website. I think it's more based on the Mediterranean species.
Not saying feed it though. I often wonder how we come to the conclusion what's good and what's not.
Yes you make a good point. I am actually guilty of using newspaper as a substrate and it has been 20 years. It makes me feel bad whenever I read about not to use newspaper as a substrate...