Can the shell get softer over a 48 hour period?

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
I've heard from many keepers that their tortoises wouldn't eat Mazuri LS. I use the original version. I could send you a small amount of the original if you'd like to try it.

Have you figured out peanut's favorite food yet (hibiscus flowers?) I'd try to give more of his favorites until he eats more.

That would be great! He tends to favor dandelion and collards, mustard greens.... I have yet to get hibiscus flowers, I don't know where to get them. I'm in the process of ordering seeds to grow a few things... he's been eating well, but up until 2 nights ago he was coming out on his own to eat and even self soaking on top of the 25 minutes I do it each day. He drinks water everyday during his soak. He has water in his enclosure but I've never seen him drink it, only during soaks. Poops every day. I don't know how or when or if he urinates. Haven't seen it. Everything appears normal physically...Eyes seem to look good. He's just sluggish now. Shell is no harder or softer since my original post (2 days after I got him). Weathers been HOT the past week 85-95. He's spending about an hour and a half outside each day, after his soak, in the sun with access to shade. Not in the grass (because it's treated) but on the deck with fresh greens.)

Jenni

Tortoise Club
I have NO idea how to gauge what he should be eating. The reptile house told me to offer a "salad" of romaine and spring mix the size of his shell everyday.

I've learned since that he should have other things in his diet so I've adjusted but it's still not "ideal". Will be very soon. Nonetheless I've been saving everything he doesn't consume (for compost). This is a photo, we are now 14 days in. What you see in the left of the photo is what is left over each night, an accumulation over the past 2 weeks.

Any feedback? Pointless tracking? Pointless post?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1506392750.677174.jpg

Tropics

San Diego, CA
For hibiscuses flowers I get the dried organic ones from the local hispanic market. Tried soaking it in just water to soften it up but did not work. Granted mine was a very young sulcata it might have decided it's not worth the bother. Now I boil em and let them cool and it's much softer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Alright, so I already see an issue. I thought I was replacing the basking bulb with the CHE.

How do I set this on a thermostat to maintain ambient? And I'm sorry, and thank you so much for being patient with me, but exactly what does "ambient" mean in the tort world? :(

Ambient refers to the general temp in the enclosure. The "background" temp. Your ambient room temp is probably too cool, so you set up the CHE on the thermostat to keep the ambient temperature in the tank a bit warmer than the room temp.

To use the thermostat you plug it into the wall, place the probe on the cool side of the tank away from the heat lamp, and plug the cord from the CHE into the thermostat. Here is one type of thermostat that I use: http://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller
When the temperature at the probe drops below your set point, the thermostat kicks the heater on. When the temperature rises above your set point, the thermostat kicks the heater off. It works automatically day and night to keep your ambient temp where you want it, which is about 80 degrees.

What wattage CHE did you buy? Usually a 100 watt or a 150 watt will do it. Some people need to run two to get the job done in the whole enclosure. Only your thermometer can tell you this.

Yes, you still need the basking bulb. It should be on for about 12-13 hours a day and set on a timer. Digital timers cost about $10 at the hardware store or Walmart or Target. Don't use a "spot" type bulb which is what I think you had before. Use a "flood" type bulb or a regular round one. The basking area under the bulb should get up to about 100. Put your thermometer under it and let it bake for an hour or two to check the temp. It works best if the basking bulb is over a flat rock or pice of slate or sand stone. This basking bulb should raise the ambient temp of the enclosure up above 80 as it burns all day. This will keep the CHE off. Its fine if the ambient temp in the enclosure climbs up into the low 90s during the day.

Clamhandsmcgee is right about the LS. Your tortoise isn't likely to eat the Mazuri LS. Get the original or "regular" version.

Due to your location, you are also going to need to get one or two florescent tubes too. One for light and one for UV. I get those here: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com

Jenni

Tortoise Club
I know it's still not ideal... but it's better than what I had. Took these photos before wrapping with tin foil tonight....cut out a section of the lid. (Wasn't using the lid at all prior.)

Ordered a strip UV to mount inside and a few other things @Tom suggested... more pics to follow over the next couple days.

Attachments

• 21992900_10154593396641525_2158826706523525400_o.jpg
    21992900_10154593396641525_2158826706523525400_o.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 22042320_10154593396636525_9077284360311316216_o.jpg
    22042320_10154593396636525_9077284360311316216_o.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 23

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
I know it's still not ideal... but it's better than what I had. Took these photos before wrapping with tin foil tonight....cut out a section of the lid. (Wasn't using the lid at all prior.)

Ordered a strip UV to mount inside and a few other things @Tom suggested... more pics to follow over the next couple days.

You're getting there, slowly but surely. The fact that you are putting this much effort and asking questions and making adjustments already is putting you on the path to success.

I would focus on the following in terms of a priority list of actions to get right:

Heating
Hydration/humidity
Diet

Then
Space
UV Lighting
Decorations
What else?

Jenni

Tortoise Club
You're getting there, slowly but surely. The fact that you are putting this much effort and asking questions and making adjustments already is putting you on the path to success.

I would focus on the following in terms of a priority list of actions to get right:

Heating
Hydration/humidity
Diet

Then
Space
UV Lighting
Decorations
What else?

It's 87 in the cool end and 97 in his basking area. Humidity is at 75% right now... Was at 82% at 5:30am this morning (It's now 8:40am). Definitely need to get this stable. He's eating, drinking, pooping and I saw him urinate for the first time yesterday...

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Thanks guys... he's eating, pooping, urinating, exploring, sleeping, soaking... I haven't weighed him in a few days because it bothers me... I was weighing him different times of the day to see if maybe it had something to do with pooping/eating and realized I was only obsessing which wasn't doing either one of us any good. I'll weigh him later on.

<br>

22195437_10154612884276525_7131605437133614547_n.jpg 22308788_10154612884281525_2625419507420002094_n.jpg 22310159_10154612884271525_7792715602650766422_n.jpg

N

no one

Understandable, I can go in hyperfocus on something too. If he is doing everything he should do and so are you there is not much more you can do. Time to enjoy a little more... hopefully.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Yeah, weighing him multiple times a day probably was stressing him out. At that size they are vulnerable and have predators in the wild. I try not to pick mine up too much for that reason. Has he eaten any of the mazuri yet? He and his setup looks good!

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Yeah, weighing him multiple times a day probably was stressing him out. At that size they are vulnerable and have predators in the wild. I try not to pick mine up too much for that reason. Has he eaten any of the mazuri yet? He and his setup looks good!

It appears he took a "bite" off of the piece I offered to him last night, although I did not witness said "bite" LOL. I removed it this morning when I gave him a fresh meal. This morning he couldn't wait for me so he started eating the grass that's been growing in there. I will offer another piece later on.

Jenni

Tortoise Club
IMG_7812.JPG IMG_7811.JPG I can't do this anymore. I weighed him again tonight. I even went out and got a new scale, I don't even know why because obviously it is what it is and a new scale isn't going to make things better.

Tri- photo is the same scale from the previous several days... dual photo is same time, old and new scale.

I'm heartbroken. Why can't I fix this?

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
It sounds like you have a very big heart! I think by weighting him your only stressing both him and you. If you have his conditions right (which I believe that you do, ) and he's eating, soaking, pooping and is active (they do hide, ) he will be fine. Vary his diet. Offer food and fresh water throughout the day.

I wouldn't worry about a few grams of weight. If you're going to weigh him, do it no more than once a week.

Jenni

Tortoise Club
It sounds like you have a very big heart! I think by weighting him your only stressing both him and you. If you have his conditions right (which I believe that you do, ) and he's eating, soaking, pooping and is active (they do hide, ) he will be fine. Vary his diet. Offer food and fresh water throughout the day.

I wouldn't worry about a few grams of weight. If you're going to weigh him, do it no more than once a week.

Adam,

I appreciate your kind words of encouragement, I sincerely do...but I'm seriously messed up about this. I cannot even begin to explain the emotional roller-coaster I've been on lately in regards to these tortoises... Maybe I'm being overly dramatic- but when I bought my first Leopard (Duke) I had it in my head that this guy was likely going to out live me... I already talked to my 6 year old about how he'd learn to care for him, because one day he would be under his care....

This is what I wrote a few weeks back on this same thread:

"Duke died just a couple weeks after I got him (from the same store) which was this past Monday.... Within 36 hours he stopped eating, became lethargic and ultimately died during the car ride to take him in to get checked out. No respiratory issues. They did tell me he felt lighter than he should have. I didn't know that he was a "weak eater" until I showed video of him eating and they told me he should have been eating more vigorously. The video I showed him was the first video I took, the day I got him home. He was weak from the get go and I had no idea, I assumed he was fine because I left plenty of fresh food for him and he would nibble throughout the day, each day."

"So. As I stood there at their counter trying to hide my tears, they told me I could pick out a new one, that they were going to replace him for me. They felt I did nothing wrong. I wasn't prepared. I hadn't thought at any point I'd be leaving my house with Duke and returning with another. SO here we are, a few days later, and I have this new little peanut that I'm terrified of."

What I didn't go into great detail about what the incredible amount of shame I felt when they basically told me he starved to death. That he weighed nothing... I was humiliated and angry...with myself. How could I have done this. How did I let this this happen? So here we are weeks later...

My Peanut is steadily losing weight, like Duke... Except this time I thought I had a handle on it. Clearly I do not.

And clearly I'm having a hard time dealing with it. I hate this Reptile House. How dare they do this to these babies to make a buck... and if it's not them it's me, how dare they sell these sweet little babies to people that don't know what they are doing and just not give a **** about it. period.

I'm sick to my stomach.

Jenni

Tortoise Club

In addition, this is the first time I've weighed him in 7 days.... I've been trying my best to create a stress free environment.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I do understand your concern, but like I said before, if you're providing all of his needs, it's not anything that you've done. I'm fairly sure that the breeder of these tortoises probably kept them hot and dry, which as we now know can lead to serious health issues or death. Heaven forbid anything happens to peanut, don't let the replace him. Try to educate them on what you've learned from this site. If you do purchase one, buy one from a member here. I've bought 5 from @Will and they are healthy. I've had a sulcata hatchling pass away that I purchased from a "breeder" and he stated that "it happens sometimes." I beat myself up for it and was sad about it for a while, but I knew that I provided the best setup and I've realized that most "breeders" do not know how to give these guys what they need.
I really hope peanut will pull through ok. Luckily tortoises are hardy creatures.

N

no one

Oh Jenni my heart goes out to you and Peanut!! A give you a hugg from all the way over here.