Can the shell get softer over a 48 hour period?

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
What a beautiful day to soak up the rays on the deck... and those tiny little baby tortoise prints after a soak?? Can't take it! <3 My sweet little angel...

DSC05921.JPG

Attachments

• DSC05931.JPG
    DSC05931.JPG
    8.6 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC05944.JPG
    DSC05944.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC05960.JPG
    DSC05960.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC05962.JPG
    DSC05962.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC05964.JPG
    DSC05964.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 33

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Nice pics. Things are going well?

I played hooky today and let the torts have at the backyard as well.

Your little guy looks good.
Best wishes.

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Nice pics. Things are going well?

I played hooky today and let the torts have at the backyard as well.

Your little guy looks good.
Best wishes.

Ah, nice! I'm thinking about playing hooky tomorrow lol...

He DOES look good. He really does. I don't think he is, though. Each time I pick him up (for a soak) I can feel he's lighter...the scale confirms this. He's steadily losing weight, it's alarming. Yet he's more active than ever and seems to be happy. I watch him like a hawk... if he knew how I watch him (as a human) he'd have a protective order against me- I'm sure of that.

Seriously though, he doesn't know, so don't worry about me causing baby tort stress... he's clueless... just doing his thing... Never retracting back into his shell until I have to pick him up for a soak. He's like little King of his castle. He seems so confident, so energetic...

I just love him so much. It kills me that he's losing weight....I'm expecting the very worst and hoping for the best.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Ah, nice! I'm thinking about playing hooky tomorrow lol...

He DOES look good. He really does. I don't think he is, though. Each time I pick him up (for a soak) I can feel he's lighter...the scale confirms this. He's steadily losing weight, it's alarming. Yet he's more active than ever and seems to be happy. I watch him like a hawk... if he knew how I watch him (as a human) he'd have a protective order against me- I'm sure of that.

Seriously though, he doesn't know, so don't worry about me causing baby tort stress... he's clueless... just doing his thing... Never retracting back into his shell until I have to pick him up for a soak. He's like little King of his castle. He seems so confident, so energetic...

I just love him so much. It kills me that he's losing weight....I'm expecting the very worst and hoping for the best.

I forgot if you mentioned if you've taken him to a vet. One of mine wasn't growing and after a vet visit/ fecal sample we determined it had parasites. Some medication fixed this and she's been growing steadily since.

On another note, I do want to say something. From everything I've read, it seems as though you have given 100% of your effort to give your little Peanut a good life. For whatever happens to Peanut, know that it isn't your fault.

When I was in your same position earlier this year, I stopped at nothing, spending all my time and more money than I like to count. End result was not good. Then I realized it was all about getting properly started babies as so many have mentioned.

Since then, I've received great quality torts from reputable breeders and all the efforts have materialized into a very happy experience.

What I am saying is this: quit beating yourself up (trust me, I had a vet tell me the same, I know it's hard) and just take all this as experience for a future baby from a reputable breeder.

Not saying to give up on your little guy, you are certainly giving him the best life he could have. You're proving to be a great tort mommy and should continue :)

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I like what @Ramsey stated, but if you take him to a vet be sure it's a knowledgeable vet. There are many vets who still give improper care advice, just like many breeders.

Jenni

Tortoise Club
4 days ago he was at 57g. I was thinking and scratching my head. Literally losing sleep....

At this point I don't want him losing anymore weight so what can I do? @Clamhandsmcgee sent me Mazuri to try, I know he's not supposed to have it every day but recently (the past 4 days) I'm offering it every day. He only takes a bite or two and he's done. (That's why I'm offering it daily.) I've changed his diet a lot in the past several days. He's on mainly clover, watercress, kale, mustard greens, collard greens, hibiscus, grass I'm growing and this new tortoise seed mix which is a variety of weeds that I've been growing.... He does munch on all of these things, but not much. Prior to the significant weight loss he was eating a ton of romaine and spring mix (minus the spinach) and he seemed to thriving. I removed romaine completely about a week ago because of some of the things I've read, it seems to provide no nutritional value and is essentially water?

Well 4 days ago I bought more romaine and incorporated it back in to his diet because I want to see him eat as much as he was in the past. He's pigging out now. I weighed him again tonight and he's back up to 61g. That's HUGE to me. I almost cried...but then I got to thinking... is his little belly just full of non-nutrient matter and it shows on the scale which make me feel better but it's not doing anything for him? I can't take it away again, he loves it so much. He absolutely favors romaine, it's the first thing he goes for in both the AM feeding and PM feeding.

I'm also noticing some things that I feel alarming yet could likely, easily, be nothing... I don't know how to upload videos here other than uploading on YouTube and then sharing the link, but I have a couple videos that I'd like looked at. I don't want to keep uploading on YouTube because people I don't know are messaging me with their opinions that I don't care to entertain, especially when they're rude and seem like they don't know what they're talking about.

The videos (I'm referring to) depict behaviors Peanut displays that I question. More specifically the way he eats. @Tom mentioned "snow-blindness" to me awhile back and as I watch him eat, he seems to struggle and I wonder if this could be an issue. In another video it contradicts my suspicions completely because it appears he's literally attempting to crawl in to his background landscape (the terrarium dessert background on the back wall of his enclosure.)

If anyone may be willing, I can FB message these videos or text them. I just want an honest opinion about what I'm observing. If you are comfortable, please message me privately and we can exchange info to share these videos.

I don't want to lose this guy.

Jenni

Tortoise Club
I forgot if you mentioned if you've taken him to a vet. One of mine wasn't growing and after a vet visit/ fecal sample we determined it had parasites. Some medication fixed this and she's been growing steadily since.

On another note, I do want to say something. From everything I've read, it seems as though you have given 100% of your effort to give your little Peanut a good life. For whatever happens to Peanut, know that it isn't your fault.

When I was in your same position earlier this year, I stopped at nothing, spending all my time and more money than I like to count. End result was not good. Then I realized it was all about getting properly started babies as so many have mentioned.

Since then, I've received great quality torts from reputable breeders and all the efforts have materialized into a very happy experience.

What I am saying is this: quit beating yourself up (trust me, I had a vet tell me the same, I know it's hard) and just take all this as experience for a future baby from a reputable breeder.

Not saying to give up on your little guy, you are certainly giving him the best life he could have. You're proving to be a great tort mommy and should continue :)

I have not taken him to a vet.. I'm sorry I didn't acknowledge this sooner. When I had Duke, and was concerned, I called around. Nobody really seemed to know where I should go and one vet advised me to call the Reptile House directly (this is where I got him, and Peanut). That's what I did. That was a fail.

Jenni

Tortoise Club

You know, it took a long time to come to terms with what was inevitable but I did. I provided the very best I could, knowing this was a down hill battle. He lived longer than Duke and I think that's why. Continued with building a closed chamber enclosure, planted seeds so he had good food, shopped for the best I could find in town, reached out to people and took all the advice, ordered many things Tom recommended. Made a friend in the meantime who helped me through some difficult, some funny, and some desperate times (Adam).

I appreciate all the help this forum has provided and I'll continue to contribute financially, monthly.

I would love to have another leopard. I just don't know if I can handle it emotionally at this point. I'm okay, but I am heartbroken. I've invested quite a bit of time, effort and love into this. Also a pretty decent chunk of change.

Miss my little guy. The little guy I never had a chance to bond with.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
You know, it took a long time to come to terms with what was inevitable but I did. I provided the very best I could, knowing this was a down hill battle. He lived longer than Duke and I think that's why. Continued with building a closed chamber enclosure, planted seeds so he had good food, shopped for the best I could find in town, reached out to people and took all the advice, ordered many things Tom recommended. Made a friend in the meantime who helped me through some difficult, some funny, and some desperate times (Adam).

I appreciate all the help this forum has provided and I'll continue to contribute financially, monthly.

I would love to have another leopard. I just don't know if I can handle it emotionally at this point. I'm okay, but I am heartbroken. I've invested quite a bit of time, effort and love into this. Also a pretty decent chunk of change.

Miss my little guy. The little guy I never had a chance to bond with.
I am so sorry for your loss.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Hey Jenni, I was wondering what happened when I hadn't seen any recent posts from you.

It sounds like you are in a much better spot (emotionally) than most who go through this. You clearly see that it wasn't anything you did wrong. You gave this guy the best chance he'd hope to have. The days he had with you are certainly the best of his life.

That being said, you have the TFO and all its knowledge in your corner. You have the passion and now the goods and the know-how to properly care for and keep a tortoise.

Take the time you need to grieve, then I would recommend getting a new hatchling from a reputable breeder. It makes all the difference in the world. You will be doing some small shell a disservice if you chose not to.

Best wishes.
Ramsey