can they be kept in groups if outside?

Jennifer Nicole

Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, CA
I only have one Tortoise... don't plan on getting another. But I wonder if they can be kept in a larger outdoor enclosure and be kept in a group?

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes, but...

- any new tortoise must be of the same species.
- It should also be of similar size to the other tortoises
- There should be no more than 1 male in the group
- Any new tortoise must be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least 6 months before introduction to make sure that no tortoise makes any others sick.
- And there are no guarantees that they will get on. They should with plenty of space and sight barriers, but introducing a new tortoise could upset group dynamics and start off fighting resulting in the need to split them.

Reactions: Tom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, but, there is a chance fighting males would still have to be seperated. My two males are kept apart and in the summer, they have a large L shaped enclosure and still will find each other. Their fighting isn't bad, but that's because I didn't let it get bad.

Jennifer Nicole

Bakersfield, CA
Ah Ok... I was just curious. I do not feel like I have enough room for more than one. But I know some zoos and other wildlife places have them in a group. It was more of an "If there is an established all around the same age group could they co exist peacefully" question.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I read your question and then I was going to type out basically the same things that Joe's Mum said.

Groups are generally okay. It is pairs that are so often the problem.