Can Tortoises consume Certo or Pectin?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I had an idea to take various fruits and greens that are good for my RF, and maybe some Mazuri and pureeing it together in a blender with a little water and lyquefying it. Then mixing it with some Pectin, or Certo and make it into a gelatin. This could be refrigerated and dished out in portions, if my tort will eat it. This might be a way to get some picky torts to eat what they don't want to. Pectin is found naturally in ripe fruits, so for RF'S atleast, I think it be safe. Other torts I don't know. This obviously wouldn't be his only food though. Thoughts?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I had an idea to take various fruits and greens that are good for my RF, and maybe some Mazuri and pureeing it together in a blender with a little water and lyquefying it. Then mixing it with some Pectin, or Certo and make it into a gelatin. This could be refrigerated and dished out in portions, if my tort will eat it. This might be a way to get some picky torts to eat what they don't want to. Pectin is found naturally in ripe fruits, so for RF'S atleast, I think it be safe. Other torts I don't know. This obviously wouldn't be his only food though. Thoughts?
I like the idea but not sure how good or safe it would be. I would be interested in the answers. And why not use gelatin itself ( which is a protein right) Then you can have say dandelion jelly etc.

daniellenc

Maryland
I don’t think mine would eat jello lol but I don’t really know. Fruit and greens have a lot of water in them which would mean you’d need a good amount of pectin to gel it. Puréed foods also spoil quick so not sure the effort would be worth it. Also pectin needs sugar to gel and added sugar may be a bad idea. It’s added in the pectin you buy normally or would have to be added. Just my thinking though. It is high in fiber though.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Yes with a boatload of sugar which is why I’m thinking it’s a no go but who knows.
I would just use gelatin powder. Which would turn it into a jelly. But still not sure if it is safe. It could then possibly then have too much protein. I don't know. Definitly following this thread to see what those with the know how have to say. Good question btw Todd.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I would just use gelatin powder. Which would turn it into a jelly. But still not sure if it is safe. It could then possibly then have too much protein. I don't know. Definitly following this thread to see what those with the know how have to say. Good question btw Todd.
I wonder does the gelatin powder have sugar added already? I think the Jello packets we get in the states here does now that I think about it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
@Yvonne G. I noticed you said you already do something similar for your boxies. So I'd guess its safe to unflavored gelatin would be ok for torts to consume?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Very interesting thread. But they are discussing box turtles and RF's which I think have a higher protein intake than some other torts. Can't remember which species you have. I could probably get away with one or two cubes every now and then but not on a consistent basis. Still it might be fun to make and see if they like it.
I have a Redfoot and I do know that they have a wider range of safe food items, so I'm not sure about other torts. I have problems getting mine to eat greens sometimes, that's what lead me to think about this. I think I'm going to try it just for fun. I'll update results to this thread.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Gelatin these days is mostly made from pig bones and other leftovers. It’s cooked down for the collagen. Doubt that it contains much protein but yuck. (Just my opinion.)

Could you freeze and unfrost as needed? I’ve seen posts on that.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Gelatin these days is mostly made from pig bones and other leftovers. It’s cooked down for the collagen. Doubt that it contains much protein but yuck. (Just my opinion.)

What about agar agar which is derived from seaweed?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

I agree, for me YUCK!
However Murphy snacks on his own feces occasionally, so I don't think he'd mind :confused: