Can tortoises hear and respond to hearing.

ryan57

Location (City and/or State)
PA
These frequency ranges of human speech are wrong. Not stating a personal opinion. I am a credentialed professional.
If you send me an audio file or clip of a man woman or child I can filter out other frequencies based on what you presented. You can listen to them and then tell me if that sounds like what YOU hear when they are speaking.

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
From a purely design perspective I would expect that their ability to detect lower frequencies better would be due to the fact that sound travels further and faster through solids than air. This would give a slower moving animal an advantage in moving out of the way of a stampede or other natural occurrence that could be dangerous.

Remember how you can hear a train by putting your ear on the tracks many, many miles away?
Okay I am beginning to get it.

ryan57

PA
Okay I am beginning to get it.
Same reason that recorded whale sounds are lower in frequency with Dolphins higher. Sound travels faster and much further through water than air. Whales are further apart and need the distance (lower frequency) while higher frequency dolphins are in groups I.E. closer.

Last edited:

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
If you send me an audio file or clip of a man woman or child I can filter out other frequencies based on what you presented. You can listen to them and then tell me if that sounds like what YOU hear when they are speaking.
This is all fascinating to me. I have a son that is HOH. He is in the severe profound classification. He misses lots of sounds within the speech banana if you will. It’s all so confusing to me because he DOES hear. But what he hears doesn’t sound the same for him as what we hear. He has adapted and can hold a conversation somehow. He has always hated hearing aids and said all they do is make what he does hear louder they don’t change what he hears. He does not respond though if you call him when his back is turned. But if you get his attention otherwise he turns and faces you he can repeat back what you are saying. That said his speech is off as he doesn’t make all the speech sounds despite knowing he’s saying the words. He just doesn’t fully hear them or say them but they still have the same meaning for him. The audiologist says he’s lost sounds because of not using his hearing aids but he insists he doesn’t hear them anyway. He’s an adult now so I don’t argue with him. But this conversation is making me want to understand more both as a parent of a functionally deaf person and as a tort host. (I dislike the term owner). Lol

ryan57

PA
This is all fascinating to me. I have a son that is HOH. He is in the severe profound classification. He misses lots of sounds within the speech banana if you will. It’s all so confusing to me because he DOES hear. But what he hears doesn’t sound the same for him as what we hear. He has adapted and can hold a conversation somehow. He has always hated hearing aids and said all they do is make what he does hear loader they don’t change what he hears. He does not respond though if you call him when his back is turned. But if you get his attention otherwise he turns and faces you he can repeat back what you are saying. That said his speech is off as he doesn’t make all the speech sounds despite knowing he’s saying the words. He just doesn’t fully hear them or say them but they still have the same meaning for him. The audiologist says he’s lost sounds because of not using his hearing aids but he insists he doesn’t hear them anyway. He’s an adult now so I don’t argue with him. But this conversation is making me want to understand more both as a parent of a functionally deaf person and as a tort host. (I dislike the term owner). Lol
My cousin Mark has completed a study where they have identified the brainwave frequency that all of a humans senses are received by the brain. They have successfully modulated both a webcam and an audio system to those frequencies and people that have never seen or heard are able to do so. This is coming soon. Receiving these waves to your brain, sight, sound, smell, touch, taste is the holodeck or smell o vision. It exists.

Now my audio story. I have had Bell’s palsy twice. Left ear. When my nerves grew back my nerve “pin out” was wrong and when testing my face the doctor had a monitor that made sound everything I moved a muscle in my face. I told her that when I squint my left eye I can “hear” the same electrical pulse that the monitor was making. She told me it was impossible, doesn’t work that way, etc.

I asked her to let me prove it to her. I had her go into another room and I would tell her what she was hearing on the instrument. After that she came in with her jaw dropped. Right. It persists till this day but does not affect my frequency response in my left ear.

ryan57

PA

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Think of this as outdated tortoise information. You watch TV and listen to radio and can purchase an equalizer. Find out for yourself. This is why you won’t send a speech audio clip. I’ll make one now with the frequencies stated so you can hear. BRB.
could be, the other two i posted i couldn't find dates..... what is the new range of a mans speaking voice?

national library of medicine
September 29, 2021

wikipedia
This page was last edited on 27 August 2024

this is 2012
Jason Bishopa) and Patricia Keating Department of Linguistics, University of California, 3125 Campbell Hall, Box 951543, Los Angeles, California 90095-1543

ryan57

PA

IMG_5602.jpegIMG_5603.jpeg
Last week at NOAA where they edit the content for all the documentaries you see with their ships, etc. on Nat Geo, etc. Notice the same laptop in the video sitting to the left?

ryan57

PA
New range of male voice or these other ranges? They have never changed. The whole point of the recording arts and sound reinforcement is to distribute those frequencies. 20-20K need to be represented. As far as a tortoise hearing and that it's all lower frequencies would intrigue me if I didn't design recording, telecom and conferencing systems for 30 years.

Let's talk about telephone signals and modern cell phones. They pick up the cheap microphone element and then compress the signal and process the mid so the frequency response is widened as it is compressed. We do the same for conferencing systems. This compression happens above 1K. My tortoise hears me when I'm speaking through a web camera or a cell phone. The frequency response of tortoise hearing organs are at least 1K before rolloff.

A weighted measuring of audio focuses on human speech and is centered on 1-10K as seen here:

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
what is the new range (hz) of a mans speaking voice?

ryan57

PA
what is the new range (hz) of a mans speaking voice
My RTA tells me 80hz - 12,000hz. My voice is most prominent from 200-400hz and kind of scooped in the mid range. Every S is heavy between 3000 - 12,000hz.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio

ryan57

PA

The Speaking Voice in the General Population: Normative Data and Associations to Sociodemographic and Lifestyle Factors​

Journal of Voice Volume 31, Issue 2 , March 2017, Pages 257.e13-257.e24
This paper is ridiculous and these people need some physics courses. I would encourage you to read the instruments and use your ears for yourself.

They cite a "mean voice frequency". Mean means average. What the heck is that? For comparison reasons only? We were talking about the frequency response low to high in Hz.

I'm hopping off this crazy train. I would encourage you to download a free real time analyzer app, install it on your phone and speak into the microphone. See for yourself.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio

Vocal EQ Chart: The Ultimate Vocal EQ Cheat Sheet (2024) May 17, 2023

Men’s voices typically have a lower fundamental frequency than women’s, often falling between 85 Hz and 180 Hz.​

Female vocals, on the other hand, tend to have a fundamental frequency ranging between 165 Hz and 255 Hz.

lots of this misinformation out there? i actually thought the question was could tortoises hear??? best i could find from folks who actually studied this stuff is tortoises respond to sounds from 10-180hz????? lots of "bad" info out there , saying that normal talking voices have "fundamental frequencies" of 85-255hz........ if the question was could they understand us , i'd be a no on that........... can the hear , i'm a yes......... after 300 million years they have complex ears........

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca

Vocal EQ Chart: The Ultimate Vocal EQ Cheat Sheet (2024) May 17, 2023

Men’s voices typically have a lower fundamental frequency than women’s, often falling between 85 Hz and 180 Hz.​

Female vocals, on the other hand, tend to have a fundamental frequency ranging between 165 Hz and 255 Hz.

lots of this misinformation out there? i actually thought the question was could tortoises hear??? best i could find from folks who actually studied this stuff is tortoises respond to sounds from 10-180hz????? lots of "bad" info out there , saying that normal talking voices have "fundamental frequencies" of 85-255hz........ if the question was could they understand us , i'd be a no on that........... can the hear , i'm a yes......... after 300 million years they have complex ears........
This is what I was getting at- technically they’re capable of hearing our voices but a) Do they bother or tune us out as non-essential. Which brings me to b) which is essentially what I was getting at when I said that; can they understand us?

I’m thinking if it’s a sound they can’t understand they don’t bother listening to it as we don’t bother comprehending or even consciously have any awareness of half the sh*t we can technically hear.

Which then took my mind down the rabbit hole of- will they prioritize associating us with our voice if it become necessary for their survival. Say a tortoise in a glass tank with no cover, plants etc and only find ways to meet primal needs when we show up.