Can Torts Hear?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
That sounds strange, but at the same time I wonder: 'Could he have been hungry? Could it curiosity? as you see 'anything green.' The colour might attract his attention.
I think it is more curiosity than hunger. He eats all day long so I doubt he is ever really hungry. Maybe because I put it down, he thought it must be something wonderful since I am the source of so many wonderful tasty treats.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
So today Charlie was happily grazing on the lawn in our backyard. The gardener came to mow. The mower was running as he came down the side of the house to the back and it was loud! Charlie continued to graze as if he hadn't heard. Then the gardener started on the lawn and Charlie looked up. He stayed frozen in the same position as the gardener mowed all around him. He never retreated into his shell so I guess he wasn't really scared.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm sorry, but why weren't you out there getting your tortoise? What exactly were you waiting for?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I'm sorry, but why weren't you out there getting your tortoise? What exactly were you waiting for?
I guess that makes me look like a bad tortoise parent!
He is close to 100 pounds so I can't move him. He was in no danger. The gardener comes every week so he is somewhat used to it. I think he was patiently waiting for the gardener to leave so he could get back to eating.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
He is close to 100 pounds so I can't move him. He was in no danger. The gardener comes every week so he is somewhat used to it. I think he was patiently waiting for the gardener to leave so he could get back to eating.
OK. I didn't realize he was huge. I'm sure he is used to the gardener if he sees them every week. They know routine and even noise won't bother them once they know what the noise is.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
OK. I didn't realize he was huge. I'm sure he is used to the gardener if he sees them every week. They know routine and even noise won't bother them once they know what the noise is.
I was surprised that he showed no reaction at all when the gardener made all that noise coming into the yard. Then once he could see him, he still didn't seem surprised. So I don't know what that says about their hearing. He would have felt the vibrations of the lawn mower before the gardener got in his line of sight, since he was facing away from the gate.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
No, I do not think you are a bad tort parent. Is you tort that BIG? Would love to see a pic of him, if possible.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I was surprised that he showed no reaction at all when the gardener made all that noise coming into the yard. Then once he could see him, he still didn't seem surprised. So I don't know what that says about their hearing. He would have felt the vibrations of the lawn mower before the gardener got in his line of sight, since he was facing away from the gate.
I have come to the conclusion that torts FEEL VIBRATIONS, but do NOT HEAR SOUNDS.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yeah, you all are missing the difference between the tool and the job done.

The tool is the ear, the tympanum, the small bones anywhere in the body that can perceive non-light energy frequencies, it could be argued that this is also an artificial distinction*. The job done is sensing those energy vibrations and making responses to them. Whales hear with their jaw bone, elephants with the foot bottom, small flying insects with hair look alike things all over their bodies.

Hearing in the biological sense means perceiving energy that comes to us as vibrations. It is the most primal sense, bacteria can 'hear' things. The most important interpretation of hearing something novel is fear. Telling whatever is doing the hearing to get away.

So yes as a matter of incredibly well supported facts all chelonians do indeed "hear".

*so sensing our environment comes from energy (light and sound, heat and cold), chemical cues odor and taste, and tactile (an extension of a form of energy and chemical). that's it. these are done in different ways and signals to our brains to do something with the cues are where the extra divisions comes into play. Light to our eyes and sound to our ears are both part of the same thing of vibrational energy. Sometimes this can spill into touch, as we feel the sun burning our skin. Salt can be tasted, smelled, and can also burn our skin, that is a chemical reaction.

Even when someone says the feel the touch of God, that is energy.

All we have are energy and chemical receptors, that's all we got.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yeah, you all are missing the difference between the tool and the job done.

The tool is the ear, the tympanum, the small bones anywhere in the body that can perceive non-light energy frequencies, it could be argued that this is also an artificial distinction*. The job done is sensing those energy vibrations and making responses to them. Whales hear with their jaw bone, elephants with the foot bottom, small flying insects with hair look alike things all over their bodies.

Hearing in the biological sense means perceiving energy that comes to us as vibrations. It is the most primal sense, bacteria can 'hear' things. The most important interpretation of hearing something novel is fear. Telling whatever is doing the hearing to get away.

So yes as a matter of incredibly well supported facts all chelonians do indeed "hear".

*so sensing our environment comes from energy (light and sound, heat and cold), chemical cues odor and taste, and tactile (an extension of a form of energy and chemical). that's it. these are done in different ways and signals to our brains to do something with the cues are where the extra divisions comes into play. Light to our eyes and sound to our ears are both part of the same thing of vibrational energy. Sometimes this can spill into touch, as we feel the sun burning our skin. Salt can be tasted, smelled, and can also burn our skin, that is a chemical reaction.

Even when someone says the feel the touch of God, that is energy.

All we have are energy and chemical receptors, that's all we got.
It was a tiny not all of us are missing it. Some are just refusing to acknowledge what everybody else knows.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
55156481_zpslhizeyeu.jpg

:) lol!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I've been sitting here young at my tortoise for the past couple of hours he just ignores me big jerk :)

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Im starting to think that my Greek tortoise has gone deaf
Hi. So you think they can hear? I am beginning to think they cannot. I just do not see any reaction to any sound/noise from Oli.
Maybe your tortoise is deaf,I'm begining to think that 1 of my Greeks is deaf,

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
I have two box turtles who come running when I tell them I have blueberries or peaches. They don't get those treats that often.