Can turtles eat maggots?

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cumbria england
Hi, I don't keep turtles so apologies if this is a silly question a guy came in to our shop today to see if the maggots we sell would be ok for his turtles as the way cheaper then the pet shop, I said I wasn't sure but would find out so here i am lol. their sold as fishing bait and have been dyed various colours, pics below if it helps. oh and the dust looking stuff on them is ground maize flour and just washes of as soon as they get wet.
thanks

Attachments

• DSC00612.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 14
  • DSC00613.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 14

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Many things are maggots ( part of the life-cycle of most insects, more commonly called pupae i.e. caterpillars ) and both turtles and tortoises will eat them. The source and what the pupae has eaten are important to consider. It makes good sense to color them for fishing bait, but depending on what is used as a colorant, that might not be a good thing for the turtle to consume.

I had some box turtles in a pen under an orange tree, one would bite open the orange then leaves it, fruit flies would lay eggs there, and those maggots would live on the bitten area. The box turtle came along frequently to eat the swarm of fruit fly maggots off the orange, but never ate the orange itself.

So, depending on the source they can be a good food item.

Will

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
thanks, I know the maggots are raised on a mix of fish and ground chicken. I have no idea what the are dyed with but I'll ask the guy when he next delivers.

MihaiLup

Dudley, UK
I am feeding y turtle usually just turtle pellets but sometimes i give her a treat. She loves maggots. Make sure you ask tho if you have coloured ones, of the pigment chemical used to dye them.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I am feeding y turtle usually just turtle pellets but sometimes i give her a treat. She loves maggots. Make sure you ask tho if you have coloured ones, of the pigment chemical used to dye them.
What kind of turtle do you have? I have a couple three-striped mud turtles. :)