Can we all calm down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, U.K
This is to everyone before people start thinking it's directed at anyone.

I, for one, think we are all getting a bit het up and not showing a very nice atmosphere for new members.

There are people you don't like and people you won't like all through your life. If you don't like a person ignore their post and stop arguing with each other.

I know I've posted a couple of the posts but it's just getting out of hand now. I feel like leaving and I'm a active member who's been here a few months. I feel sorry for all the new members on here.

Honestly I'm struggling to cope with a few personal things as it is. I use to come on here and be able to kick back, have a laugh, share information, read interesting debates about things and learn. Now everywhere I turn I feel like we are at each others throats and I have to be on high alert with what I post and say.

Can we all just calm down and chill out? Whatever problems people have had can they do the mature thing please and move on from it all. I don't care if you never post in a thread that person is in ever again just stop all the arguments. It is causing tension to even people who use to get on and have a laugh.

Rant over. Sorry guys had to express how I feel and someone has to say something.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
stephiiberrybean said:
This is to everyone before people start thinking it's directed at anyone.

I, for one, think we are all getting a bit het up and not showing a very nice atmosphere for new members.

There are people you don't like and people you won't like all through your life. If you don't like a person ignore their post and stop arguing with each other.

I know I've posted a couple of the posts but it's just getting out of hand now. I feel like leaving and I'm a active member who's been here a few months. I feel sorry for all the new members on here.

Honestly I'm struggling to cope with a few personal things as it is. I use to come on here and be able to kick back, have a laugh, share information, read interesting debates about things and learn. Now everywhere I turn I feel like we are at each others throats and I have to be on high alert with what I post and say.

Can we all just calm down and chill out? Whatever problems people have had can they do the mature thing please and move on from it all. I don't care if you never post in a thread that person is in ever again just stop all the arguments. It is causing tension to even people who use to get on and have a laugh.

Rant over. Sorry guys had to express how I feel and someone has to say something.

You know..I don't think I like your attitude...Way to civil..:D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Maybe I have not been reading the right threads, but I have missed the tension. I have not seen anyone at anyone else's throat. I have seen disagreements - but there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The only time it becomes a problem is when names are called and the attacks become personal.

Plus everyone has to remember - there are 10,730 members and that number goes up daily. Not everyone is going to love every one. I agree there is a need to be civil, but please also remember that the written word does not allow for tone or intent. If words sometimes seem blunt and possibly even harsh, well, that is the nature of the format in which we communicate.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
I haven't seen any truly horrible threads posts, most of which they were kidding or teasing. But I guess we do need to slow down a bit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Unanimous. What threads are you talking about? I've missed them too. I've been enjoying the silly banter with you, Tyler and everyone else who chimes in.

... no need to mention Anthony and his apparel choices...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"You know..I don't think I like your attitude...Way to civil.."

Thems fightin' words! LOL

Sorry-I don't see the hostility anywhere. Everyone (definitely me!) gets passionate about their subject now and then. I have no problem with that.

"Don't say something about someone that you can't say to their face if you have to."

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
But I am all angry and worked up now.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Dmmj is only the first of what's going to escalate into a major episode...see people are going to wonder what they missed and start reviewing posts...when they don't find something..there going to get aggravated and angry..Not unlike the way DMMJ is at the moment....Then they will post a response on an ongoing thread ..And of course having all that bottled up anger inside it will show through the post..Oh...what have you done..

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Well as a newb to this forum, I am now very careful what I say and post. Not criticizing or suggesting anything, just saying it from a new to the forum point of view.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes I'm a little naive when it comes to reading between the lines, but I'm afraid I haven't seen any of the animosity that you're talking about.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ripper7777777 said:
Well as a newb to this forum, I am now very careful what I say and post. Not criticizing or suggesting anything, just saying it from a new to the forum point of view.

If this is true, then I am very sorry and disturbed. I like so many others had not saw any problem areas. I do realize we have been extremely ummm I guess wild is as good of a word as any in the off topic zone, which to me is where we are allowed a n extended amount of joking, kidding, and strange subject matters.

Sometimes, I really dislike the written word, because we don't have our normal ways to decipher their meaning. Things like our facial expressions, tone, body language. We bring into the reading of words our own personal fears, likes, dislikes, confidence, and even where and how we were raised, let alone what kind of day we are having. The same is true of the person doing the writing. This is on top of the actual words used and the word choices made. Just so many ways for those words to end up being processed by two or minds so totally different.

I know a brand new person, doesn't have the knowledge to know the style certain folks in here write. That comes with time. Some of us sugar coat things well (some will say too well) and some of us believe in shooting straight from the hip and telling it as we see it, no holds barred (then get labels as rude, harsh, mean, or even brutal). In reality those words are all meant from both styles to convey the same thing and with the same intentions. Neither style is bad and both ways are actually needed to get thru to different folks. Take some time to get to know, those writing styles.

(Just a clue I tend to joke around, but I am also "mean" at times and say what I think needs to be said, even if it might hurt the receiver a bit. If your clothes make you look fat, I will tell you they make you look fat.;) I also do not go with the flow and openly will give my opposing views based on my own personal experience.) :tort:

We are a passionate group of folks by nature. We want what's best (in our own minds for these marvelous shelled creatures). Unfortunately we each have different actual experiences with our tortoises. This leads us to not agree as to how things should be done. Sometimes it comes across to folks as fighting, when really it is just open sharing of opposing thoughts.

I can see where a new person could feel afraid to jump in with much of anything. Hey, I am the same way in some of the groups I belong too. We do want to hear new thoughts and ideas, even if we seem a bit boisterous and against them. New ideas and even old well repeated questions and thoughts, allow us to think and even reevaluate just why we are doing things. We all are new in here, some are just newer then others. Just as well all have things to learn.

Please hang in there, test the water before jumping in if that helps, and then go for the leap of faith.... post and then post some more. Yes, some may not like what you say or give you a hard time for it. I know that well, as I tend to not follow the main way of doing things and I am not afraid to say so. I am a huge believer in the fact there is no one way to do ANYthing.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Jacqui said:
ripper7777777 said:

If this is true, then I am very sorry and disturbed. I like so many others had not saw any problem areas. I do realize we have been extremely ummm I guess wild is as good of a word as any in the off topic zone, which to me is where we are allowed a n extended amount of joking, kidding, and strange subject matters.

Sometimes, I really dislike the written word, because we don't have our normal ways to decipher their meaning. Things like our facial expressions, tone, body language. We bring into the reading of words our own personal fears, likes, dislikes, confidence, and even where and how we were raised, let alone what kind of day we are having. The same is true of the person doing the writing. This is on top of the actual words used and the word choices made. Just so many ways for those words to end up being processed by two or minds so totally different.

I know a brand new person, doesn't have the knowledge to know the style certain folks in here write. That comes with time. Some of us sugar coat things well (some will say too well) and some of us believe in shooting straight from the hip and telling it as we see it, no holds barred (then get labels as rude, harsh, mean, or even brutal). In reality those words are all meant from both styles to convey the same thing and with the same intentions. Neither style is bad and both ways are actually needed to get thru to different folks. Take some time to get to know, those writing styles.

(Just a clue I tend to joke around, but I am also "mean" at times and say what I think needs to be said, even if it might hurt the receiver a bit. If your clothes make you look fat, I will tell you they make you look fat.;) I also do not go with the flow and openly will give my opposing views based on my own personal experience.) :tort:

We are a passionate group of folks by nature. We want what's best (in our own minds for these marvelous shelled creatures). Unfortunately we each have different actual experiences with our tortoises. This leads us to not agree as to how things should be done. Sometimes it comes across to folks as fighting, when really it is just open sharing of opposing thoughts.

I can see where a new person could feel afraid to jump in with much of anything. Hey, I am the same way in some of the groups I belong too. We do want to hear new thoughts and ideas, even if we seem a bit boisterous and against them. New ideas and even old well repeated questions and thoughts, allow us to think and even reevaluate just why we are doing things. We all are new in here, some are just newer then others. Just as well all have things to learn.

Please hang in there, test the water before jumping in if that helps, and then go for the leap of faith.... post and then post some more. Yes, some may not like what you say or give you a hard time for it. I know that well, as I tend to not follow the main way of doing things and I am not afraid to say so. I am a huge believer in the fact there is no one way to do ANYthing.

Well first off, I have not followed anything going on in this forum, I stay out of off-topic forums until I feel like I'm one of the "locals".

I completely understand the normal forum dynamic and at times it works and at times it fails, it's the same way on all forums. I have been part of, helped, admin'd, owned and created many different forums and many times typed my foot into my mouth.

So I'm not overly sensitive, I like the people here, even the ones that don't like me, can't win them all.

Animal husbandry is a sensitive topic, but I have seen people go nuts over opinions about anything from video games to RC Competitions. Personally they are my torts and I will educate myself, ask people for advice and opinions and in the end I will do as I see fit. Nobody on a forum or in person will bully me into believing their way is the only way.

So no worries, I'm not leaving, I only posted because I have observed some issues, not really with me personally, well not only with me, but others that have turned me off from posting and may have just turned others off also, once they got the info they wanted they simply leave. Again just an observation and opinion, not trying to start anything.

B

byerssusan

Well I guess I have missed all those nasty threads also.

Status
Not open for further replies.