Can we feed the leaves from the fig tree to my Tortoise??

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
The sap can be an irritant to humans eyes and skin, which is why the Tortoise Table lists them as a do not feed.

That said, if you search through the forums, you'll find that some members do feed them successfully and consider them a good source of calcium.

I imagine that's as clear as mud, just saying there are different opinions on the subject. :eek: My Russian would not eat them so I don't have any practical experience with them.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
The sap can be an irritant to humans eyes and skin, which is why the Tortoise Table lists them as a do not feed.

That said, if you search through the forums, you'll find that some members do feed them successfully and consider them a good source of calcium.

I imagine that's as clear as mud, just saying there are different opinions on the subject. :eek: My Russian would not eat them so I don't have any practical experience with them.
Thank you so very much! !

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have two fig trees - small trees with leaves and branches close to the ground - in my Aldabran tortoise yard. They never bothered either tree. I have heard that the leaves are edible, but none of my tortoises eat them. Now the figs, however, that's a whole other story! All tortoises LOVE figs!!