Can we talk a bit about guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Yvonne, I hope you understand that if you should find an intruder in your house---they are there to do nothing but harm and turmoil....so if you should choose to get a firearm, get one that is readily comfortable in your hands...one that has a kick back that you can handle and not cause you to drop the firearm during firing....

A dog would be a fantastic companion. A dog can be a thinking weapon vs a firearm is based on all that you see and hear....you may even think about acquiring a trained guard dog---protection and companion all in one (you really will want to deal with a reputable source for this because personality and stability of the dog is of the utmost importance--and other than outright killing of this type of dog an intruder would not have the same success in tricking nor poisoning of this type of dog as this should be part of its training)..

A firearm is a necessary tool in a home where there may ever be a chance of an intruder :)D) I believe that would be every home....my 12 year old son is also comfortable and willing and has been directed and been made familiar with our firearms by myself..also that if ever he found himself in a position to defend himself in our home against an intruder----he is to fire fire fire with the intent to make the intruder go from live to dead, as the intruder is not there to do any good....

I hope you will get enough input here to assist you in making the choice that will work for you dear.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I'm a bit biased on the situation. I'm a military man so gun would be my first thought but at the same time guns can be very dangerous. A gun can go off for no reason at all injuring anyone. I seen a semi auto pistol fired and went full auto the person involved was not ready and the last bullet caught his chin. But if you follow the rules and safety I'm sure a gun can be a great deterent. Although a theif doesn't see a gun loaded he would see a dog with a mouth full of teeth and move to the next house. I theif will go for what's easiest not always but in most cases he doesn't want to deal with a dog attack.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
If I lived alone I would have both.
I agree with Tyler, If you pull a gun. be ready to kill.
If someone breaks in your house with you there, they will probably kill you if you don't kill them first. It is your house. You belong there they don't so if someone has to die it should not be you.
Madkins- great tips.
Kerryann- My son took Krav mega about 7 years ago. He is 18 now and yesterday he told me how glad he was that he had that training, but I am not sure I would recomend it to a 70+ lady. I took him to all his classes and he really got knocked around. At 46 I don't think my body could take that.
Good luck with what ever you decide Yvonne.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I recommend both as well. A dog will deter someone from coming into the house if it is barking its head off and alerting everyone in the house that someone is coming. And a gun can be a safe haven so if someone did break in you have some guaranteed protection if you know how to properly work a gun.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think we should get yvonne a sign that says " I am here to kick *** and chew bubblegum, and I am all out of bubblegum."

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Madkins007 said:
1. Don't make your house a target.

2. Encourage them to move on. Exterior lighting, neighborhood watch signs, closed and locked doors- especially garages. Good locks and reinforced door plates, etc. really help as do automatic internal lights

2a. Indications you have an alarm system are a mixed blessing. It often deters punks, but suggests to pros that there is something worth protecting, thus worth stealing. Warnings about guns are about the same

2b. Indications of a big, trained dog, however, are almost always a deterrent.

3. Make it hard to get in. Good locks and reinforced jambs, locked windows, no hiding places, no easy access to upper areas, motion-sensing lights. The very best thing, however, are alert, interested, and friendly to you neighbors (an occasional banana bread buys a lot of security!)

4. Once in, make them want to leave quickly. Alarms and panic buttons are good, but not perfect. A dog barking recording on a motion sensor can help... but it is kind of an old trick now.

5. Avoid confrontation. Statistically, it is safer to hide than to confront.

6. Maximize odds of recovery and prosecution. Marking and photo-documenting your stuff (good for insurance purposes, as well), etc.

I agree with this!

Mark's right. Most burglars are looking for the highest payoff for the lowest effort. They want to get in and get out as easily as possible, and if it doesn't appear the "mark" is worth their time, they likely will move on.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Madkins007 said:
1. Don't make your house a target. Do not show off wealth or possessions, never leave boxes for big screen TVs in the trash

Let's be honest, big screen TVs are so friggin cheap nowadays at Costco, I'm not sure they're worth the effort of kicking in the door in anymore, especially knowing that you gotta carry that thing out :)

Mastiffs probably do have a bad sense of smell in comparison to other dogs, but mine are very alert and hear and see everything, 24/7. The problem I have with relying on a gun (don't get me wrong, I have multiple) is that you have to be aware of what's going on, and a burglar doesn't ring the doorbell or walk up at 12 noon singing a song.... In all reality, if one was to break in, it would be very quietly in the middle of the night. By the time you wake up, you'd have almost no time to do anything, in most cases. By then, my dogs would be all over it. For that reason, I still think a dog is a better "starting point" but if for some reason somebody can fight through your dog, you'd have time by then to have a gun ready to shoot.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
What a funny thiing to be reading on a "Tortoise Forum"!!! Almost as good as"Oh I joined a book club on my Tortoise fourm!!!
TerryO's message was my first thought also. and everyone's points are all spot on..
I found so much fun in learning to shot a bow and pistal with my hubby, I have kept up archery for many years. (And I never thought to do any of that when I was young.). You may turn out to be the next Annie Oakly or something!
Keep us updated!!
Nay

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Pup first, gun next, for two reasons:
First, a large breed/guard dog pup becomes a deterrant long before it reaches maturity, partly because a good percentage of people fear them and partly because they begin alterting to sounds and strangers long before they are mature or trained. My GSD was scaring the socks off people when he was 6 months old, and he was one with a softer personality. Breed+big teeth+loud bark=scary.
Second, the simple version of the story is that humans and dogs live together because many many years ago those with dogs were more likely to survive bear attacks. Dogs' protective nature and willingness to take on the dangers for us are at the heart of our relationship with them. Companionship probably came later. We aren't using dogs for protection as much as giving them an opportunity to do what they prefer in that situation.

I have a handgun, but don't like it at all and am not likely to even get it out. My club (diamond willow!) and hatchet would be my first choices for self-defense.

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
N. Utah
bamboo staff works for me....and of course the dog....gratefully I have the hubbie too, but he is not always home, but the 100lb dog is.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Edna said:
Pup first, gun next, for two reasons:
First, a large breed/guard dog pup becomes a deterrant long before it reaches maturity, partly because a good percentage of people fear them and partly because they begin alterting to sounds and strangers long before they are mature or trained. My GSD was scaring the socks off people when he was 6 months old, and he was one with a softer personality. Breed+big teeth+loud bark=scary.
Second, the simple version of the story is that humans and dogs live together because many many years ago those with dogs were more likely to survive bear attacks. Dogs' protective nature and willingness to take on the dangers for us are at the heart of our relationship with them. Companionship probably came later. We aren't using dogs for protection as much as giving them an opportunity to do what they prefer in that situation.

Good point!

My club (diamond willow!) and hatchet would be my first choices for self-defense.
bamboo staff works for me

Now we're talking! I know projectile weapons can only go so far compared to a bullet shot from a gun barrel...but in the confined space of a hallway or bedroom, I believe I would trust my skills with my nightstick, spear, machete, or any one of the several knives I keep around the house about as much as I do holding a handgun.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Angi said:
If I lived alone I would have both.
I agree with Tyler, If you pull a gun. be ready to kill.
If someone breaks in your house with you there, they will probably kill you if you don't kill them first. It is your house. You belong there they don't so if someone has to die it should not be you.
Madkins- great tips.
Kerryann- My son took Krav mega about 7 years ago. He is 18 now and yesterday he told me how glad he was that he had that training, but I am not sure I would recomend it to a 70+ lady. I took him to all his classes and he really got knocked around. At 46 I don't think my body could take that.
Good luck with what ever you decide Yvonne.

Krav Maga fighting classes are what your son took. They also have krav maga self defense classes where you don't end up with bloody noses and black eyes.
The fighting classes are honestly the best if you can take the abuse, because they teach you how to fight under stress. If you don't fight back in class you will get a whooping, but the self defense classes are more about basic moves that you can do to throw the person attacking you off their footing, or to escape a grapple. I would think anyone with a home intruder worry of any age could take the self defense classes.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
emysemys said:
That's the way I was thinking too, Baoh. I thought that the sound of a shot gun being cocked might be a deterrent. But the dog gives me company plus peace of mind because it hears what I don't.

Yep. this is what I was going to say... plus the dogs give you companionship. Most bad guys will not want to go to a house with a barking dog.. if they do and they get in.. then you want the gun. A Shot gun is great.. the sound it makes as a warning you are armed, its easy to use and you dont have to aim perfect...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LMAOfffff Captain.....I think you could make a bundle on those signs...and hell, if I were a burglar and walked up to a house that had that sign ...I would be discovered right away by me laughing so damn hard.....lol

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
TylerStewart said:
Madkins007 said:
1. Don't make your house a target. Do not show off wealth or possessions, never leave boxes for big screen TVs in the trash

Let's be honest, big screen TVs are so friggin cheap nowadays at Costco, I'm not sure they're worth the effort of kicking in the door in anymore, especially knowing that you gotta carry that thing out :)

You are right. When we took the class I remember the photo was a typical neighborhood on trash day and we were asked which houses looked 'ripe'. This was back when a big TV was a big deal (and not flatscreened).

There were big TV boxes, computer boxes, and lots of other stuff just screaming "I JUST MADE A BIG NEW PURCHASE! ROB ME!"

I had never thought about that before, but at the time it was apparently a pretty common way for thieves to figure out where to hit.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Madkins007 said:
TylerStewart said:
Madkins007 said:

You are right. When we took the class I remember the photo was a typical neighborhood on trash day and we were asked which houses looked 'ripe'. This was back when a big TV was a big deal (and not flatscreened).

There were big TV boxes, computer boxes, and lots of other stuff just screaming "I JUST MADE A BIG NEW PURCHASE! ROB ME!"

I had never thought about that before, but at the time it was apparently a pretty common way for thieves to figure out where to hit.

You should just break down the boxes and recycle them. Actually I drive around here on trash day and in addition to seeing all of the boxes, my neighbor has a ton of boxes every week, it amazes me how much trash most houses generate. :(

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dmmj said:
I think we should get yvonne a sign that says " I am here to kick *** and chew bubblegum, and I am all out of bubblegum."

That was pretty funny

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
emysemys said:
I'm 73 years old and my dog (doberman) is also old. She doesn't hear well and is almost blind. She is no protection because of her hearing.

So, I had the vet out this a.m. because of an injury on my horse, and I mentioned I'm looking for a doberman pup. He said, "get a gun."

He made some good points.

...I don't have to actually shoot it, just the sound of cocking, ratcheting? will deter
...I don't even have to aim a short barrel shot gun

I don't think I could actually shoot someone, I mean with a bullet, but I'm pretty sure I could shoot a shot gun aimed lower, like at their feet.

I'm torn, because I really enjoy my dog's company and I'm going to miss that when she dies. But with all the home invasion robberies I'm quite uneasy here by myself at night.

Can we talk about this so I can get some more insight as to whether I want a shot gun or a pup?

Dogs are great (got a few myself). but, as previousy mentioned, dogs can be killed.

Get a pump 12-guage, Yvonne, and aim dead center...if he's in your home, he's in range so that just pointing the shotgum at him and pulling that trigger will change his plans.

And, if someone is invading your home, he's obviously not got the best intentions, and if he finds you at home, he may not choose to leave a witness!

These are the hard truths that we see on the evening news much too often, and you need to adopt the mindset "Him or me? It's a shame about him!" This is exactly what I've taught my wife and daughter because I put the value of their lives over that of a burglar/rapist/?. Value yourself in the same way.

If the sound of the 12-guage's ratchet doesn't send him fleeing, he's too stupid to pass his genes on, anyway... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.