Can weather affect my tortoises behaviour?

Shellybob3

Location (City and/or State)
Dewsbury
My tortoise has just gone 1 year old and up to recently has been a really good eater. However the past couple of weeks it hasn't wanted to come out of its 'bedroom', and is turning its nose up at any food offerings I give. We've had quite a few thunderstorms over past couple of weeks, so was wondering if this has upset him, or something else? Tia

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
Sooooooo

What type of tortoise?

Where are you located?

Is ur tort located inside or outside?
It's a marginated tortoise, we're in UK.
Its inside on a tortoise table with UVA/B bulb on throughout the day, room never drops below 19c on a night. It just doesn't seem his happy self

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes the weather can whether its housed inside or outside. Daily weather can depending on too hot, too cold, rainy etc if housed outside. The weather can affect them even though they maybe housed inside but that usually has more to do with time of year and changing of the seasons.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If she doesn't have a basking spot that reaches 95-100F it can't digest its food properly and will stop eating and get sick or worse.
Day temps should be 80F
Read the caresheet under the appropriate species and make corrections.

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
Yes the weather can whether its housed inside or outside. Daily weather can depending on too hot, too cold, rainy etc if housed outside. The weather can affect them even though they maybe housed inside but that usually has more to do with time of year and changing of the seasons.
Thankyou, it has been really muggy here at minute, so hope just a change in atmosphere might have upset him. Thanks for your advice, really appreciate it

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
If she doesn't have a basking spot that reaches 95-100F it can't digest its food properly and will stop eating and get sick or worse.
Day temps should be 80F
Read the caresheet under the appropriate species and make corrections.
Ye thank you, its basking spot is in the correct temperature, first thing I checked, tho I work in Celsius rather than Fahrenheit lol. But thankyou I will keep checking it regularly

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes they are pretty sensitive to changes in weather.
My leopard lives indoors in his own room with access to the garden when ground temps reach 70F but he won't go far from his hide if it rains or is stormy and won't attempt to go outside even if the door is open for him to wander out.
He is much more active on warmer days and finds a sunny spot to bask in.
When the winter comes he is less active and eats a lot less too. On some days he won't even come out for his food but he will eat it if I put it inside his hide. He likes room service.

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
Yes they are pretty sensitive to changes in weather.
My leopard lives indoors in his own room with access to the garden when ground temps reach 70F but he won't go far from his hide if it rains or is stormy and won't attempt to go outside even if the door is open for him to wander out.
He is much more active on warmer days and finds a sunny spot to bask in.
When the winter comes he is less active and eats a lot less too. On some days he won't even come out for his food but he will eat it if I put it inside his hide. He likes room service.
Thankyou so much for your feed back, really put my mind at rest, this his him all over.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My little Russians behavior changes even through each season depending on the weather. He is inside most of the time and can feel it even though I keep his room at consistent temps and humidity. Some days he'll get up early and I can feel those days in my bones by now. It may be the thunder affected yours if that went on several days. I usually play music and shut the windows in those kind of times for my animals. The music blocks the booms and they like it.

TommytheRussian

Franklin
My tortoise has just gone 1 year old and up to recently has been a really good eater. However the past couple of weeks it hasn't wanted to come out of its 'bedroom', and is turning its nose up at any food offerings I give. We've had quite a few thunderstorms over past couple of weeks, so was wondering if this has upset him, or something else? Tia
Tommy my Russian has been with me for 10 years plus. Peroidically, winter or Summer, he takes as much as 7 days to sleep whatever it ia off. Do not know about thunder storms. Likely normal behavior

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Our 21 year old Hermanns tortoise tends to get over excited in high pressure situations, racing around and climbing everything madly- it can be very hard to calm him down. He is also usually less interested in his food, though he always manages a fair amount in the end. Oh yes, and he also poops a lot (squittily) -not sure if there is such a word- I think, like you say, it is probably the effect of the weather on yours,too.
Angie

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
Our 21 year old Hermanns tortoise tends to get over excited in high pressure situations, racing around and climbing everything madly- it can be very hard to calm him down. He is also usually less interested in his food, though he always manages a fair amount in the end. Oh yes, and he also poops a lot (squittily) -not sure if there is such a word- I think, like you say, it is probably the effect of the weather on yours,too.
Angie
Thankyou, you've basically described his behaviour over past couple of days, glad it's normal. I just worry too easy lol
Kind regards
Michelle

Mattesj

Spain
When I first got my tortoise she didn’t eat for ages. I think it is normal when they are stressed. Thunder stresses most of my animals.

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
My Greek did this for about a week, going into winter about a year ago. Daily warm soaks of about 98 degrees seemed to help.