Can you check my redfoot diet and schedule?

Andrewg777

Location (City and/or State)
Quezon City
Day1

Fruit day – Dried papaya, dried mango, dried pineapple or dried jackfruit.

Day2

Green day – 50% pellet (random) and 50% greens (timothy hay, hibiscus leaf, roselle leaf, jute mallow leaf)

Day3

Green day – 50% pellet (random brands) and 50% greens (timothy hay, hibiscus leaf, roselle leaf, jute mallow leaf)

Day4
Random fresh fruit day – Squash, okra, bell pepper, green papaya, indian mangoes, cucumber, rambutan, lansones, dragon fruit, kiwi, grapes, banana, guava, tomato, eggplant, coconut, strawberry, mulberry, watermelon, melon,

Day5

Green day – 50% pellet (random) and 50% greens (timothy hay, hibiscus leaf, roselle hibiscus leaf, jute mallow leaf)

Day6

Flower day – Random hibiscus species (gumamela varieties, rose of sharon and roselle) and occasional pumpkin flower if available

Day7
Protein day – 50% catfood Orijen, 50% mushroom (dried shiitake and black ear fungus); OR occasional feeder insects (mealworm, dubia, BSF larvae); OR whole pinky mice (When he/she gets bigger)

Plus calcium powder w/D3 every green day

I have a limited choice of greens because I think the random-pellets-a-day will cover any insufficiencies and pellets have myriad of ingredients inside them already; and buying fresh store-bought greens are also impractical for one hatchling. I only have those hibiscus species and jute mallow in my garden where I can pick up anytime.

I choose multiple tortoise pellets because we are not sure what is the best. And I think sticking to one brand is not the best option. So it is better to have a tiny portion of everything. I just avoid brands with grain/soy as their main ingredient. What I got are grassland zoomeds, LS Mizuris, and some which I think Indian and Chinese brands (all have good ingredients).

I am very reluctant on giving veggies and any root crops. Although convenient at your local stores, one of my main reason is I guess they are very unnatural in the wild and are severely altered. I still stick to leafy edible plants.

I still choose grassland/standard tortoise pellets because I do not believe on forest-specific tortoise pellets. My reasons are
-there is almost no change in ingredients with the grassland pellets
-I think they are just adding more soy protein and bakers yeast just to increase protein and brand it as “for forest species”
-seldom but mostly no added ingredients like fruits/flowers which redfoot need (some do add little papaya or mango to the ingredient and that’s it)
-Outdated recipes.. maybe their recipe are decades old already which are not appropriate for specific type of species like redfoots

I choose dried fruits because it is more convenient-storage wise- (I only have one hatchling) and purchasing fresh whole fruit where you will only need a pinch is impractical.

All dried fruits are free from MSG, oil, salt, sugar or glazed; and not from China.

Dried shiitake and black ear are the only available fungus here.

Orijen kitten and cat… because I guess avian meat and its byproducts is a good protein and nutrient source? Though it has some ocean fish meat included, that I don’t know.. I’m also looking at Acana Grassland catfood.

I choose RedfootNERDs approach of not mixing fruits with flowers with green and have specific days for it so that selective eating is avoided.

I’m already training my hatchling never to be picky and to eat all those food items eagerly and spoiling him/her with something is what I’m being careful of. I believe that what they want to eat is not always the best for them.

My recent references are the provided pinned caresheets which are very helpful for beginners like me; the discussions here at the forum, and tortoisetrust.org articles by Andy C. Highfield

I only have one hatchling redfoot which I got 3weeks ago.

Your thoughts? I would appreciate any corrections.
do you think I need to change something? or might ive doing something wrong here

Last edited:

Andrewg777

Quezon City
PS. I'm from Manila. Looking for guides which are specific for tropical country is very hard. Thanks very much to this forum and to all the contributors here :) I wish I can share some as well

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think you might be over thinking the feeding schedule.
Redfoot can eat a HUGE assortment of foods. Even a lot of fruit.
Just feed a mixture every day. You can have one or two staples on hand that you can offer each day. But mix up the rest.
Variety is key. And feed fresh. Not dried or processed.
Whatever fruits you are eating he can eat and most any plant that you eat can also be fed. Also cactus, flowers and some animal protein.
Relax. Don't stress about a schedule.

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
my RF has turned into a living garbage can

Will eat anything.

For reference...... I feed greens (mix arugula, crucifers, kale, radish tops, chards) 4 days a week, fruit/veg once (mango, strawberry, zucchini) Mizuri once, and I have him fast one day since he's probably a little overweight and they do go starving in the wild from time to time.

IMHO never feed dry fruit and veg - if you do always re-hydrate it with some water before feeding. I usually spray the Mizuri before feeding too.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Ive never heard of redfoots eating timothy hay, I don't think its harmful in any way...but I would keep away from feeding coconut. I don't have any concrete evidence it's bad but its awfully oily/fatty and I wouldn't risk it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ive never heard of redfoots eating timothy hay, I don't think its harmful in any way...but I would keep away from feeding coconut. I don't have any concrete evidence it's bad but its awfully oily/fatty and I wouldn't risk it.
I've never fed coconut to any tortoise.
I'd probably avoid it too.