Can you cure an RI without a vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Not sure if that's my little one's issue, but from searching TFO it sounds like it.

I went away for a week, and my hubby was in charge of the tortoises. He works full time, and had never spent much time with them, so I wrote out clear, to-the-point instructions (I tried to make them simple so he would actually read them all, as sometimes I'm a little wordy and he glazes over).

I went over everything with him, several times before I left.

I arrived home late on Sunday night, and he told me all the torts were in their sleep boxes.

When I let them out Monday morning, 4 of the 5 came out to eat right away. I noticed that ALL the waters were empty! I filled up the water dishes, soaked the 4 that I could find.

Later in the morning, I found the 5th, Ducky (she's the one I'm worried about). She was sleeping in her sleep box, which they never stay in during the day. I immediately soaked her, and she sat in the water for close to an hour (it was a shallow dish that she could have walked out of). This is very uncharacteristic for her....she's never liked soaking. I've seen her walk through the dish on her own, and I've seen her drink, but she's never stayed in the dish willingly when I put her in there.

I assumed she was just very dehydrated (even her shell looked different).

I soaked her several times throughout the day, and each time, she just sat and sat and sat....drinking a lot, and just sitting.

Something else she was doing that is not normal for her, is she would stretch her head up and open her mouth...like a gasp, not a yawn. She would do this over and over.

She wasn't eating yesterday, so I did a baby food soak, and finally got her to eat cactus (always been a favourite of hers). But she seems clumsy when she eats, and tried to eat some hibiscus leaves, but it was like she wasn't coordinated enough to take a bite.

So, she's eating (a little), pooping (it was quite soft, and green), and drinking...BUT, she has some discharge from her nose or mouth (I can't quite tell), and she's constantly rubbing her face, like she has itchy eyes (I'm not saying she does have itchy eyes, she's just always rubbing them).

I've separated her, and have her in a bin in the house for now, so I can keep a close eye on her.

I do not have the option of taking her to the vet. I called our only vet, and they said they can't see tortoises. So basically, I'm on my own here...trying to figure out what's wrong, and helping her. I'm really hoping we don't lose another hatchling.

I'm not blaming my hubby, because this very well could have happened if I were home, but if I were here, I would have noticed a change in her immediately.

Also, she hasn't really grown at all in the few months we've had her, despite a hearty appetite, and a usually peppy personality. Her and her 2 clutch mates did not have the best start...they were kept dry, and when I got them, they were being kept in a bird cage with no substrate, in an air conditioned house, with a high water dish that they couldn't climb into...also, the lady had not fed them (she had them for a week, and had gotten them from her brother). Riddle, that passed away, was one of her clutch mates.

Sorry for the novel length post (this is what I mean about being too wordy for my hubby sometimes), I'm just trying to include any info I can, as all Ducky has right now, is me and TFO to help her.

Thanks for reading!

Here are some photos taken yesterday and today:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
The first thing I would do is increase temperatures by five degrees, day and night. Also, I like to supplement with a drop or two of cod liver oil a couple of times a week for a while anytime I think something might be going on like this. I wish her well!!

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Okay. I brought her inside to avoid a draft (they are normally housed outside). Outside temps are currently around 88 during the day, and 80 at night....humidity is around 88%. Should I add a heat source inside (we don't use air conditioning...our house is hot and humid...hahaha...I love the humidity)?

I have cod liver oil at home, so I will add that to her next soak.

Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gosh that first picture is cute. Save that one for when Jacqui puts up the calendar contest.

Sometimes a tortoise can shake a R.I. without human intervention, but it throws it off a lot quicker with antibiotics. Like Lisa said, increase the temperature and keep it steady with no drop at night. You may need a CHE or night time heat source for this. Maybe cover the "hospital tank."

You might try Terramycin water soluble powder. I sometimes have good luck with this. You can buy it at a feed store. It's for chickens. You put a quarter teaspoon of the powder in a quart of warm water and leave the tortoise soaking in it for about an hour. The medication looses efficacy after about an hour.

But, if the mucous turns thick and changes color, and if the tortoise stops eating, it's time for a vet's intervention. He has better antibiotics than we can buy over the counter.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thanks! I love the first picture too...it was a lucky shot!

I should have added that I would take her to a vet if it was an option, but there is only one vet on the island, and they won't see a tortoise.

What is available here is very limited. Think about a small town in the middle of nowhere, and then take away over half of what's available there. It's crazy. BUT, we do actually have a feed store here, so I will stop in and see if they have Terramycin.

I have covered the "hospital tank" already...my only option for a heat source would be a regular lightbulb (no heating sources of any kind are sold here...and buying online takes around a month to ship here). So, I might sound crazy, but would it help to put the hospital tank on top of my fridge (it lets off heat)?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
That first picture is awesome! What lisa127 and Yvonne suggested, amen. Hopefully, all will be well. Keep us posted. Your baby is darling! : )

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thanks! I will keep everyone posted. I'm going to be keeping her warm and hydrated, continue baby food soaks, and add cod liver oil. The feed store was closed when I went by today, so I'm going to try get the Terramycin again tomorrow.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Just wanted to update that little Ducky is doing great!

She's still in a bin on her own, and I'm keeping it extra warm and humid. I did a baby food soak again today, but she's eating really well, pooping, and she's very active. She's starting to act like her peppy self again, and is not doing the gasping thing I was so worried about. I will continue to giver her extra soaks for a while, but she's looking amazing...her shell is even back to its normal colour!

I think she was just extremely dehydrated from not getting soaked while I was away for the week (and her water dish was empty when I got home, so she couldn't even soak herself!), and she's very, very tiny...the smallest hatchling I've seen here.

I'm thankful she seems to be recovering beautifully. Thanks for all the advice.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The first pic shows that she is tiny, tiny which is difficult enough to see in a pic. But, I like the second one because you can see more of her face. Either one can be posted in a contest:) Btw, I'mglad that she's doing better. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.