Can you grow dandelions?

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
So I live in Florida and one thing you should know is that there are no weeds in Florida like at all. So I wanted to know if anyone on the forum has ever tried growing dandelions, because I read somewhere that they really like them and I want to get him some. Also is there a store you can get them at? Thanks 😊

OliveW

Branford, FL
YES!!! I ordered seeds from Amazon and already have them growing. 🥰 They sprout and grow pretty fast. I planted most of them outside my boy's enclosure so he wouldn't eat them all at once. LOL

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We have lots of them in the UK so I collect the fluffy seeds and scatter those in my garden. Success is a bit hit and miss though so I usually go for walks and pick them from safe, fume free places.
I believe there are stores or markets in the US that sell dandelion leaves as produce.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
We have a ton in our lawn, none with blossoms now. Spring is the season for dandys. Now, we buy dandelion greens from our local Asian market. BUT, the price has almost doubled recently……so, we limit purchases to occasional treats.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Both Plantains the narrow and broad leaf are much easier to grow from seeds than dandelions. I have a lot of dandelions in my yard but never had much luck getting them to germinate where I wanted them to grow.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
So I live in Florida and one thing you should know is that there are no weeds in Florida like at all. So I wanted to know if anyone on the forum has ever tried growing dandelions, because I read somewhere that they really like them and I want to get him some. Also is there a store you can get them at? Thanks 😊
All across Florida there are actually TONS of edible weeds and plants for tortoises, you just have to learn to see them, and find and identify them. If you ever need help identifying, feel free to send me a pic. I feel like it would be pretty hard to grow dandelions but online there are weed seed mixes that are great and the tortoises love the plants once they grow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dandelions are difficult to plant and grow when and where you want them. Easier to just find them.

The "dandelion greens" sold in stores are actually Italian dandelion, and are not the same thing as yard dandelions. They are still good for variety.

I've been to FL several times, and there were weeds everywhere. Everywhere. I was pulling weeds at a friends place and feeding them to the tortoises. Lots and lots of edible plants for tortoises. Kudzu vine is good tortoise food too.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
1.59 a bunch at our local Stater Bros.

KevtK

NY
FWIW, I just ordered from Carolina Pet Supply -

Weird that when you order online, you get no acknowledgement, but less than a week later my seeds did show up. I bought the broadleaf mix...