Can you help me identify my tortoise?

Yvonneryder

Location (City and/or State)
Wigan
Hi I’m new here and a new tortoise owner. My tortoise is a rescue and I’m told will be one year old in June. I’ve weighed and measured her today and she’s 18.5 cm long and weighs 1050grams Previous owner had no idea what sort of tortoise she is. She seems very lively with a healthy appetite and lots of energy. I want to give her the best life I can so may be calling on you all for advice as I live and learn. Thanks in advance.

FCFA9DFF-3FFC-450E-A138-DD34F339CD90.jpegFBA34A60-996E-4DB9-A19A-A3A491C03B00.jpegC4F69EDC-CD7C-4D7B-AB90-2E470D6D3A10.jpeg

Yvonneryder

Wigan
Hi I’m new here and a new tortoise owner. My tortoise is a rescue and I’m told will be one year old in June. I’ve weighed and measured her today and she’s 18.5 cm long and weighs 1050grams Previous owner had no idea what sort of tortoise she is. She seems very lively with a healthy appetite and lots of energy. I want to give her the best life I can so may be calling on you all for advice as I live and learn. Thanks in advance.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The type of tortoise will determine a safe diet, too.
Most tortoises will eat lots of things (like fruit) that might be harmful.
Photos please.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Please send photos so we can help you. if you need help getting photos on here ask for help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not without some pics, or a few hints at least...

Yvonneryder

Wigan
Sorry I messed up and managed to post twice once with pics and this without! Here are the pics.

6580FA29-0593-4DE4-A356-45FE631EFA02.jpeg45F7DABC-70AE-4098-9D7F-7D4534288880.jpeg1FB36A3B-3604-4DD1-90FE-EB5A5A16990D.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That' would be a hermanns tortoise.

Yvonneryder

Wigan
Thanks very much for that Yvonne. I thought she was but just thought she seemed very big compared to the weights and lengths of other people’s Hermanns

hellomaloy

Muskogee, Oklahoma
Are you sure she’s only a year old? She has a lot of lines for a one year old. Plus pretty big. I’m glad you know what she is now, she’s very beautiful!

Yvonneryder

Wigan
Hi and thanks for your response. I can only tell you that’s what I was told. As she’s a rescue I have nothing to go on except that. I’d thought myself she was a Herman but when I read what length and weights everyone else’s wereI thought I must be wrong. How old would you estimate her to be? A bit odd though as I was given a very specific date that she’ll be one on June fourth.

hellomaloy

Muskogee, Oklahoma
Wow really?? Thanks for that.

Yvonne, I too would assess her around ten. The only reason I could come up with for someone telling you the lie about her age is that they wanted you to think you had a relatively fresh start with her. Unfortunately, a lot of people just tell folks things that they think they would want to hear when really just telling the truth is a lot more admirable and appreciated. I would question anything else they told you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne, I too would assess her around ten. The only reason I could come up with for someone telling you the lie about her age is that they wanted you to think you had a relatively fresh start with her. Unfortunately, a lot of people just tell folks things that they think they would want to hear when really just telling the truth is a lot more admirable and appreciated. I would question anything else they told you.
It might just have been a guess on their part, because the original poster said it was a rescue, which means they really may not know for sure.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Also if very young sex cannot be determined. If determinable will only be after several years. How do you know to say she? Back toenails need trimmed.

luke2431

pensacola, fl
She is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!