Can you house red foot and greek hatchling together?

RobP67

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello everyone, i recently got a greek tortoise hatchling no more than 2 months old. I live in California but winter is coming so i have an indoor plastic enclosure. He is small and probably the size of my thumb. The breeder who i have done business with and is reliable says he has a few red foot hatchlings. i was wondering if it is okay to have the red foot and greek hatchlings together. I know it isn't the best idea to keep tortoises in the same enclosure due to fighting and diseases. I was just wondering if its possible. I don't want either to get ill or hurt. I have them in a plastic 2X1X1 bin as a DIY temporary home until they get bigger. Will post pics soon. Thanks in advance.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hello everyone, i recently got a greek tortoise hatchling no more than 2 months old. I live in California but winter is coming so i have an indoor plastic enclosure. He is small and probably the size of my thumb. The breeder who i have done business with and is reliable says he has a few red foot hatchlings. i was wondering if it is okay to have the red foot and greek hatchlings together. I know it isn't the best idea to keep tortoises in the same enclosure due to fighting and diseases. I was just wondering if its possible. I don't want either to get ill or hurt. I have them in a plastic 2X1X1 bin as a DIY temporary home until they get bigger. Will post pics soon. Thanks in advance.

No. Greek and Red foot care, diet, and living conditions are completely different from one another. Doing so will benefit neither species.

A 2 x 1 x 1 ft enclosure is also too small for any tortoise hatchling. 3-4 x 2-4 ft in the most recommended size I've seen people give in this forum. Small enclosures do not evenly spread heat well nor do they offer enough space needed for a growing tortoise to exercise in. Some owners and keepers have also suggested that small enclosures may be one of the contributing factors to stunted growth in tortoises.

RobP67

California
That makes sense. Thanks for the clear up. The plastic enclosure is only temporary as it was what I have but will definitely change it out thanks! Will probably wait on the red foot until I can manage the Greek for now. Thanks for your input

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
One more voice to say: You will definitely need separate enclosures.
And a third.
Wait until your current tortoise is situated and later on, if you feel up to it, start another enclosure just for a Redfoot.
Make both enclosures as large as you can in the space you have.