Can you identify my subspecies?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Do you mean Uzbekistan?

I’ve just been looking at my maps again... it looks like nearly all the countries where they are found speak Farsi, and Some Russian, having been part of the USSR in the past; except for China and Pakistan. However, thinking about it, most of the ancestors of ours came from Afganistán, with Russians who had been there. Hence the misnomer. So, I’m looking at the languages of Farsi and Pashto... I think!
Yes. Uzbekistan. You're funny ?. But I can't laugh too much. I usually try to find a Spanish word to name my bunnys. My last one was named QueSi. Only one person got my joke until her vet sent a birthday song that was hilarious. The first person said so you named your rabbit what yes!?

Ubercat

Sheffield
Frankly, he's so slightly bumpy, he's NOT pyramided. I think he's even looking good.
This is pyramiding.... Knobby
View attachment 303555
It's possible that he could have MBD, however, I've had him for 2 years now, and beside the fact he's a horrible tortoise, troublemaker, plant killer, tire mover, and ladder bulldozer; he shows no signs of organ damage
View attachment 303556
What kind of tortoise is Knobby?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
What kind of tortoise is Knobby?
Knobby, is a Sulcata of unknown age as he was found wandering the streets of downtown Portland Oregon. He is badly pyramided but a great, horrible tortoise who spends his days getting into trouble. I do understand the tortoise the OP was talking about is a Russian tort, not Sulcata. But all the sudden it seems fashionable to have a pyramided tortoise, a designer tortoise, if you will. So I'm saying that Russian tortoise is very slightly bumpy, he is not pyramided. He's pretty, healthy-looking and he looks to be a good tortoise to keep. Don't look for problems where there aren't any.

Ubercat

Sheffield
Knobby, is a Sulcata of unknown age as he was found wandering the streets of downtown Portland Oregon. He is badly pyramided but a great, horrible tortoise who spends his days getting into trouble. I do understand the tortoise the OP was talking about is a Russian tort, not Sulcata. But all the sudden it seems fashionable to have a pyramided tortoise, a designer tortoise, if you will. So I'm saying that Russian tortoise is very slightly bumpy, he is not pyramided. He's pretty, healthy-looking and he looks to be a good tortoise to keep. Don't look for problems where there aren't any.

Thanks, well done for rescuing poor old Knobby, however unpleasant he is :D I’m the OP, so thanks for your reassurance :) I only acquired him a few weeks ago an I’ve never had a tortoise before, so I was unaware of any fashions sweeping the community :)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thanks, well done for rescuing poor old Knobby, however unpleasant he is :D I’m the OP, so thanks for your reassurance :) I only acquired him a few weeks ago an I’ve never had a tortoise before, so I was unaware of any fashions sweeping the community :)
Yeah, at times I can sound a little snotty. I apologize. So read the care sheet from here and set him up decently and he's gonna make a good pet. I think he's pretty. His color is just a little different and shiny

Ubercat

Sheffield
Yeah, at times I can sound a little snotty. I apologize. So read the care sheet from here and set him up decently and he's gonna make a good pet. I think he's pretty. His color is just a little different and shiny

Thanks :) I’d love to know what sort of trouble Knobby gets into if you’ve got time? He sounds fascinating!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks :) I’d love to know what sort of trouble Knobby gets into if you’ve got time? He sounds fascinating!
Just since you're a first time tort owner you'll find out first hand how much trouble a tortoise can get into. Especially with a Russian. They are notorious for climbing and are nicknamed escape artists. Try to keep a fairly close eye on him. He'll teach you what he's capable of doing.?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Frankly, he's so slightly bumpy, he's NOT pyramided. I think he's even looking good.
This is pyramiding.... Knobby
View attachment 303555
It's possible that he could have MBD, however, I've had him for 2 years now, and beside the fact he's a horrible tortoise, troublemaker, plant killer, tire mover, and ladder bulldozer; he shows no signs of organ damage
View attachment 303556

Dear maggie3fan....
you leave knobby alone!
I like him!!!! (that way)
He looks like he came from the streets. Lol. Think about it....
how would your personality be if you were mistreated most of your life??
thank GOD he is with you now and getting the best of care, but the chip on his shoulder comes from many years of neglect and he might be waiting for you to dump him off like the last guy did...he might be thinking why should I be “nice” now??
give him a .... (dare I say) ....break??.. ?
Also.... seeing he is a Sulcata ..... DO NOT LET HIM ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR IROC!!!
??????????????
????

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
you want him??? Just kidding, mostly. I am going to make a Knobby thread after church and my race

hey!!!!
Don’t give knobby to anyone just yet!
I have told you before.....
I ...have a ....“girlfriend“ for him...?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Good luck with your race! I think I’m in the wrong country for a sulcata, anyway ;)

hello and welcome to the forum.
And yes.... you and some of the rest of us
(ME).. are not cut out for Sulcatas ..
Stay with your beautiful Russian and you will have lots of joy and adventures together. When Sulcatas get big you can’t take them anywhere!!!??
well.... not without a wheelbarrow ...?????

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
hello and welcome to the forum.
And yes.... you and some of the rest of us
(ME).. are not cut out for Sulcatas ..
Stay with your beautiful Russian and you will have lots of joy and adventures together. When Sulcatas get big you can’t take them anywhere!!!??
well.... not without a wheelbarrow ...?????
I agree. My little Russian is a handful but not 2 and a broken back to boot. I can take him anywhere I want. He has no choice.? I just have to make sure I out smart him.