Can you Identify this Tortiose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pouncethecat2002

I got this tortiose last summer from a lady who had kept him or her in a small tupperware like container,they only fed him once every other week or when they rembered too.Never got any light either,she told me she got him at a pet shope 4 years ago and the lady there told her it was a desert tortiose.Ive post pics on fauna classifieds some say its a sulcata,some say desert tortiose,one person told me that it could be a mixed breed of tortiose.I would really like to know,last winter i kept him awake during the winter monthes because i wasnt sure what he was,because as you know sulcatas dont hybernate,desert torts do.Any one got any new ideas?.

Attachments

• turtlepicmay2006.jpg
    turtlepicmay2006.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 101
  • mytwoturts3.jpg
    mytwoturts3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 57
  • turt3.jpg
    turt3.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 96
  • turt2.jpg
    turt2.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 61
  • turt1.jpg
    turt1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 94
S

squirtle

Did it try to hibernate? My Desert Tortoise INSISTS on hibernating, and I am in sunny SoCal. He finds a quiet "hiding" spot and he is OUT! My Sulcatas don't really attempt to hibernate.

Below are pictures of mine...the Desert Tortoise is bigger (at least for now!) in the picture of two tortoises, and the one one the godawful carpet is my older Sulcata (I took that pic today...he is at work with me! My lifeguards love him!!!). What do you think???

The last picture is the Desert Tortoise terrorizing my poor defenseless Lab. Maybe yours looks like that?

Attachments

• 07-04-29 Wedding Shower 044.JPG
    07-04-29 Wedding Shower 044.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Squirt.jpg
    Squirt.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Tortoises 041.JPG
    Tortoises 041.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 33

LeopardLover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well, to my looks it looks like a Desert tortoise. Or I might be wrong. :l I'm sure more people will post and share what they think.

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz California
Im going to say dessert tortoise.Not sure though.Could it be a little funny looking from not getting the proper care?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
would it be possible to get another headshot that isnt blurred?

P

pouncethecat2002

Squirtle,your tortiose are beutifull!,he does look alot like your desert tort,but people have been telling me that desert torts are greyish with no brown in them?.Mine does have some pyrimiding thats why he shell looks like that ress2,yes the lady i got him from did not feed him properly : (,my camera is not too hot josh but i will try and post a better head shot of him.

Tiffany

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
It's color is too brown to be anything other then a sulcata. I am 100 percent positive on it. And the feeding once every other week fits too if it was outside or inside on a substrate like hay or grass it can eat.

The pyramiding isn't too bad, make sure it gets uv lights and the right diet of grasses and hays and pumpkin once a week and your fine. The pyramiding and damage already done won't get better but you can stop it from getting worse.

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
I think definately Sulcata. Yes it's been sadly taken care of. I'd bet his shell is soft or squishy. He can come out of this and live a great life with the propper care and husbandry.

SulcataPappa

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Stagecoach ,NV
Im going to say Sulcata with a bad past owner. I read also that the pic of his or her top view is a little square from living in to small of a area like you said. You will do great with your sulcata with that food in the pic. that you are feeding him.

P

pouncethecat2002

Ok thanks for all the new info,someone said he bet that his shell was soft,its not,its hard.And also the lady i got him from last summer kept him in just a tupperware tub with news paper,no substrate like hay or grass,so he only got fed when ever she rembered him!,and that was once every other week or so : (,he is doing great now and i am glad i got him from her.Josh here are the head shot pic's,best i can do!,my camera suck's!.

Attachments

• headshot2.jpg
    headshot2.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 42
  • headshot1.jpg
    headshot1.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 46
S

squirtle

pouncethecat2002 said:
Ok thanks for all the new info,someone said he bet that his shell was soft,its not,its hard.And also the lady i got him from last summer kept him in just a tupperware tub with news paper,no substrate like hay or grass,so he only got fed when ever she rembered him!,and that was once every other week or so : (,he is doing great now and i am glad i got him from her.Josh here are the head shot pic's,best i can do!,my camera suck's!.

Here is a side by side of a Sulcata and a CA Desert Tortoise.

Attachments

• 100_2647.jpg
    100_2647.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 37

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
1. i hope these desert tortoises live in a habitat like their wild environment, such as rocky sandy desert like thigns?

2. its a desert tortoise...normally you need a permit to keep one depending where you live

P

pouncethecat2002

I live in nevada,and if you have read the other post i some what rescued him from a tupperware tub,he lives outside most of the day,at night i bring them in.But i am sure he would have died if i hadnt of got him!.

P

pouncethecat2002

Squirtle,thanks for the picture!,nice photo of yours and helpfull!.i think mine is a sulcata or maybe it is a mixed breed?.

R

Rockysmom

Absolutely 100% sulcata .. Surprisingly well looking considering the poor way it was taken care of. With the proper diet and care it will recover quite nicely...!!Definately needs a change of diet!!!
pouncethecat2002 said:
I got this tortiose last summer from a lady who had kept him or her in a small tupperware like container,they only fed him once every other week or when they rembered too.Never got any light either,she told me she got him at a pet shope 4 years ago and the lady there told her it was a desert tortiose.Ive post pics on fauna classifieds some say its a sulcata,some say desert tortiose,one person told me that it could be a mixed breed of tortiose.I would really like to know,last winter i kept him awake during the winter monthes because i wasnt sure what he was,because as you know sulcatas dont hybernate,desert torts do.Any one got any new ideas?.

S

squirtle

pouncethecat2002 said:
Squirtle,thanks for the picture!,nice photo of yours and helpfull!.i think mine is a sulcata or maybe it is a mixed breed?.

I agree...he looks like the Sulcata and the coloring is perfect! I am glad the picture was helpful!! That is funny...I have never heard of a mixed breed of those two tortoises but he does have feature that look like a CA Desert Tortoise...his toenails are long and black like my Desert Torts.

What fun tortoises they are...I am so glad you rescued him. Mine comes in the kitchen when I am home and tries to chew on my pant legs to get my attention. He know if I am chopping veggies and if I drop a piece of cucumber he moves so fast you wouldn't believe it!

Have a great day and good luck!!!

P

pouncethecat2002

squirtle said:
pouncethecat2002 said:

I agree...he looks like the Sulcata and the coloring is perfect! I am glad the picture was helpful!! That is funny...I have never heard of a mixed breed of those two tortoises but he does have feature that look like a CA Desert Tortoise...his toenails are long and black like my Desert Torts.

What fun tortoises they are...I am so glad you rescued him. Mine comes in the kitchen when I am home and tries to chew on my pant legs to get my attention. He know if I am chopping veggies and if I drop a piece of cucumber he moves so fast you wouldn't believe it!

Have a great day and good luck!!!

P

pouncethecat2002

squirtle, how funny!,when someone told me it might be a mixed breed of a tortiose,i dont know with what?,he or a she is around 5 years old from what the lady told me,i think he should be alot bigger then he is,but he is such a good little guy,we just love him!.Do you trim your torts toe nails?,if so do you use dog or cat nail clippers on them also?.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
the poor thing. glad you have him now, he'll be happy in dandilions..

I'm posting pics of a desert tort that was given us one late summer. He pestered RV (she was about his size at the time) and then he went into hibernation. We kept him in a cooler in the garage until he woke up in the spring. RV was much bigger by then and we had to take him to the tortoise rescue here in phoenix. I think she would have damaged his shell, she was not pleased to see him again.

previous owners had painted his shell white, most of it had worn off.

hope your tort becomes stronger and gets well.

teri

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
the poor thing. glad you have him now, he'll be happy in dandilions..

I'm posting pics of a desert tort that was given us one late summer. He pestered RV (she was about his size at the time) and then he went into hibernation. We kept him in a cooler in the garage until he woke up in the spring. RV was much bigger by then and we had to take him to the tortoise rescue here in phoenix. I think she would have damaged his shell, she was not pleased to see him again.

previous owners had painted his shell white, most of it had worn off.

hope your tort becomes stronger and gets well.

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.