Can you keep more then one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
Hi I have just got my margined tortoise a couple of days ago who's around one year old, I was just wondering if this breed is happy if there is more then one of them, as I have owned a horsefield in the past and was took the horsefield fight if there is more the one oftthen one, just was wondering if it was the same with this breed as would like to get another at a later date

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Us Two:

I'm not familiar with the marginated tortoises, however, I'm assuming that a single tortoise is always happier being an only tortoise. That way he doesn't have to compete for the best hiding place or for the food.

If you want to get another tortoise, you always have to be prepared to have a totally separate habitat in case they don't get along.

In a nice, big outdoor habitat, you can have multiple tortoises of the same species in the same pen. Groups of 1.2 (one male/two females) is better than a pair.

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply I agree it would be best to make sure I had two enclosures before I even thought about getting another, I don't want to rush into getting another one but like the idea of getting another one later x

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Marginateds can usually live individually or in small groups. As far as territorial or sexual aggression they seem to be the least so of the Testudo species. Females in particular very rarely show any aggression whatsoever. Most males only seem to be aggressive with a female present. I have kept two "pairs" of adult males together year round for decades now. None of the four have ever shown any type of aggression except when a female is present. Even then it is almost always just breeding aggression directed towards the female. But I also generally seperate the males when introducing them to the females so there is never a two males within the same enclosure as the females. I've raised baby Marginateds to adulthood together and have never seen any aggression. But it could happen so it is always a good idea to have other enclosures available to be able to house them seperately.

Status
Not open for further replies.