Can you spot the Red Eared Slider?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Neither can I.
Two weeks ago I placed a rescued slider in my pond and I haven't seen it since.
Either it climbed out and left. Doubtful. Or it spends it's time hiding under plants, etc.
Are these things almost 100% aquatic?
Can I lure him out with a basking platform?

20171004_181410.jpg 20171004_181359.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
They are really good at getting out, Ed. If there is any footing they can get on an edge and it is rough enough to get traction, they can lift themselves out. If it is still in your pond, you would start to see your water lily missing leaves! Is food disappearing? Or is there something else in there that would also eat food thrown in? They are also really good at hiding and a newly acquired turtle can "disappear" for quite a while while they are adjusting. However, red ears seem to be one of the least shy turtles in that regard. If your water temps are lower than 74° or so, it would want to bask in the morning sun, but they also are good cryptic baskers, hanging at the surface of the water, mostly hidden in plants, letting the sun warm them up there. With cooler water, they come out more as the water temp won't allow the body to heat enough. Sometimes you have to find a way to sneak up on them or they will slip into the water to hide at the first movement they see.

With a pond that size, my bet is on an escape. I would think you would have seen it and/or be missing lots of plants.

Melis

Maryland
They do spend most of their time in the water. A basking platform would help. Does the pond get a lot of sun? I wouldn't be surprised if he escaped; from the picture the bricks near the waterfall look pretty low to the water. Do your plants look chewed up to you? I can't put any plants in mine without them getting destroyed by my guy. Lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They need to be able to get completely out of the water to bask . So yes you need a basking area . They will get out of the water and dig into and under plants .