Can you take your tortoise to the beach?

I_love_tortoises

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have a Russian tortoise his name is Simba. We are at a condo that is near a dog beach. I never even thought about taking him to the beach until I saw people on Instagram with their tortoises at the beach. I thought the sand could get stuck in his shell and it could be itchy. I don’t want to harm my tortoise or put him in an uncomfortable situation. Also if I were to go I would keep him FAR FAR FAR FAR away from the dogs. Just wanted to know some more opinions on this. Thanks!

Melis

Maryland
I wouldn’t really see the benefit from this. Travel and new places will just stress him out. Sand can irritate the eyes. Dogs around is not a good Idea. Not worth it just for a photo op.

Why type of torts were you seeing in beach pics? For example, gopher torts in Florida are commonly seen on beaches. Perhaps the pics weren’t of people’s pets?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have a Russian tortoise his name is Simba. We are at a condo that is near a dog beach. I never even thought about taking him to the beach until I saw people on Instagram with their tortoises at the beach. I thought the sand could get stuck in his shell and it could be itchy. I don’t want to harm my tortoise or put him in an uncomfortable situation. Also if I were to go I would keep him FAR FAR FAR FAR away from the dogs. Just wanted to know some more opinions on this. Thanks!

Sure, you COULD take a tort to the beach....but why on earth would one? There is not benefit to the tort whatsoever.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Other than being an eye irritant, Russians can dig and disappear FAST. I wouldn't let them run free on a beach.

Now if you have a decent size carrier with some substrate and a hide, it won't hurt to take him. Mine are indoor enclosure torts so that is how I take them outside for natural sunlight.

kerrishell

Arizona
No I wouldn't. Just to be safe.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Too many uncontrollable variables. Bringing a carrier would also require you to monitor it at all times in additional to the added stress from transporting said carrier from and to both destinations depending on traveling time.

That being said, don't let us discourage you from trying to give your tortoise some time out in the sun. Try to find a more controllable location that mimics the same comforts your tortoise has at home. Light, Shade, Heat, and substrate.