Can you train a tort to sit, lay, etc... ?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
~ Yes, tortoises can see in color, over time, they recognize the red bucket (color) as a food source and follow it for the food. Has worked very well for us @ ALDABRAMAN.

I think I'm beginning to understand how you may get that many tortoises loaded into a horse trailer... Following the red bucket?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I think I'm beginning to understand how you may get that many tortoises loaded into a horse trailer... Following the red bucket?

~ Red apple, colorful piece of fruit, etc. works very well also..........Food can be a fantastic motivator if the tortoise is food driven.

47168270_731404180554371_3679364775856308224_n.jpg

Last edited:

MKNOX

Jupiter Florida
~ Not "trained", however more possible a form of "conditioned" from repetition and consistency.

I am insanely jealous!!!!! I was a reptile caretaker at a zoo in my 20's and galapagos and aldaberas were my main responsibility. I really wish i could afford one. I love my sulcatas but wow what a thrill to have a dab in the pasture!!!!

New York
So I come home from work today and, as usual, my dog "Archer" is ecstatic to see me. He leads me over to the kitchen cabinet where his treats are stored and sits down. I get the hint, offer him a treat, and he scampers off into the living room and wants nothing more to do with me.

By the same token, I go down to check on Ghost (my sulcata for those who don't know) and he literally runs over to me and awaits idly by his food dish. I offer him some Mazuri pellets, and he's wanted nothing further to do with me since.

Now I ask you: given the similarities of behavior between the two, can I train Ghost to sit, lay, and jump through hoops like my dog? Sheeesh. <end rant>
I started this very similar thread a couple weeks ago asking if there was any sort of therapy or service tortoise out there because I had seen a PBS special that showed someone training a tortoise and I understood the documentary to be stating that tortoise intelligence are on the very similar level then that of K9. My redfoots behave very much like my lab. As far as interaction with people.

New York
You know what amazes me is how some people say that tortoise's have no personalities. I beg to differ. I think they are very sensitive and will show what they like and don't. If I bob my head up and down, Scooby will do the same.
Every child is a personality of it's own my Danny seems to prefer the sweet red bell peppers my Danielle appears to enjoy a Hungarian half hot pepper.Both enjoy the company of people.I had not the pleasure of raising them since " birth" and so do not know how much of their taste and activities are natural and or because of the way they were raised the first six and seven years of their life. I do believe that each have their own distinct personalities