Can you use a greenhouse net on an outdoor enclosure?

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
With winter coming over here, I wondered if you could use green house nets to cover the entire enclosure to keep it warmer?
I think the only problem could obviously be on a warmer day, if you don't change it, it could cook your tort.
The other thing would be that the clear plastic doesn't let UVB through, and the green netting turns the light to green which can mess with a tort.
What do you guys think?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What sort of winter temps are you expecting?
The netting I know wouldn't keep anything warm but maybe it's different to the netting your thinking of.
You could have some sort of a shelter with heat in the enclosure for your tort to retreat to while still having access to the enclosure when it's warm enough.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
What sort of winter temps are you expecting?
The netting I know wouldn't keep anything warm but maybe it's different to the netting your thinking of.
You could have some sort of a shelter with heat in the enclosure for your tort to retreat to while still having access to the enclosure when it's warm enough.
Our winter temps are
Max 15C
Min -2C
Both temps are optimistic and can be a few degrees below.
I am busy building a nightbox for my leopard, so I wondered if a you could perhaps do it bigger, like a greenhouse etc
The nets would look like thisScreenshot_20220317-163244_Google.jpgScreenshot_20220317-163327_Google.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Now I tracking! Definitely the nightbox for the warmth and the cloth would offer more outdoor time. Still may want a fan to ventilate if the sun overheats the space

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't know about your other species but your leopard would probably be safer indoors overwinter if ground temps fall below 70F
I've seen some members using heated nightboxes inside insulated heated sheds with uvb sources so they still have room to wander.