Can you use a heater at night time to keep enclosure warm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
My ceramic no light heat bulb doesn't come in until Thursday so I was wondering If at night time when I am suppose to turn the UV bulb off so he can have some darkness is it okay to use a heater to keep his enclosure warm until I get the bulb?? I attached a picture of the enclosure and where the heater is and the wattage of the heater.
its a 750 or 1500 watt heater which is really high compared to the bulb I got
Photo on 2011-10-18 at 18.17.jpg
Sulcata baby tortoise named Gupta

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
I asked the same question before I got my ceramic heat lamp. if I remember correctly the answer I got was that it is fine on certain conditions. the first was that the heater shouldn't be blowing into the enclosure. rather it should be aimed at a wall of the enclosure. second was to check and make sure what the temps get to be with the heater on for an hour or two. a heater that size looks like a little much for a tank that small. you can just move it back to decrease temp. but I don't think thatll be a problem. also make sure that the enclosure stays pretty moist. ie humidity is key. the heater causes high airflow and that may dry out the enclosure. hope that lamp comes in soon. good luck!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
TheCobbler said:
I asked the same question before I got my ceramic heat lamp. if I remember correctly the answer I got was that it is fine on certain conditions. the first was that the heater shouldn't be blowing into the enclosure. rather it should be aimed at a wall of the enclosure. second was to check and make sure what the temps get to be with the heater on for an hour or two. a heater that size looks like a little much for a tank that small. you can just move it back to decrease temp. but I don't think thatll be a problem. also make sure that the enclosure stays pretty moist. ie humidity is key. the heater causes high airflow and that may dry out the enclosure. hope that lamp comes in soon. good luck!
Thanks I will back it up a bit and point it right at the back of the enclosure. Prices on amazon can't be beat when it comes to the lights but waiting for them to ship sucks.
Im almost scared Gupta's enclosure is too wet. the substrate is very, very moist and I spray his humidity box a lot. I can already tell by the way his skin and shell look that he is a lot more hydrated. Im determined to make sure that he looks perfectly flat.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
That heater looks big compared to the enclosure.. You could just leave the heat lamp on..They will sleep regardless of the light and if you shade the entrance to his hide box he will have some darkness.. And it's only for a few days..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Or you could find a store that still sells incandescent bulbs and buy a red or black bulb for heat without light.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I bet a black light will be more effective....while I have had to use a heater a time or two it way radiated so no fan....if you keep your substrate really damp when the fan blows the air it will cool the surface of your substrate which will give a draft affect...the black or red night bulbs work well and generate now breeze .....:D. Also..the night bulbs are relatively cheap in relation to the regular day heat bulbs....

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I bet a black light will be more effective....while I have had to use a heater a time or two it way radiated so no fan....if you keep your substrate really damp when the fan blows the air it will cool the surface of your substrate which will give a draft affect...the black or red night bulbs work well and generate now breeze .....:D. Also..the night bulbs are relatively cheap in relation to the regular day heat bulbs....

I have a ceramic 100 watt light coming in for heat during the night time its just not here yet and I just found out that my other light isn't coming in today but tomorrow. I just don't want him to get too cold. Do they sell blacklights at WalMart cause I will go get one now. I imagine it would be a lot better than the heater.

Okay so I still hope enough people are awake to answer this, I looked on WalMart.com and found that they have two blacklights at my walmart, one 17watt and the other 15watt. Do you think these would provide enough heat?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No no....I totally understand what you are saying :D . And I do not know if Walmart has them in their fish / pet department? ?? I would imagine worth a try....I personally would also leave his day time light on as mentioned earlier....I know they sleep better with darkness but one night....he can catch up on his sleep the next night :D. IMHO....

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Or you could find a store that still sells incandescent bulbs and buy a red or black bulb for heat without light.

I have already bought one of those bulbs, a ceramic 100 watt it just hasn't arrived from Amazon yet, it will in two days. I was just wanting to make sure this was an okay solution for like a day or two.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most hardware stores sell "black" lights. You might find something at a higher price at a pet store too. You need something between 50-100 watts for most households.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Most hardware stores sell "black" lights. You might find something at a higher price at a pet store too. You need something between 50-100 watts for most households.

I bought three blacklights, one is 17watt and 2 13 watts. Do you think that is enough heat?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are they some sort of compact florescent? Those are very small, very odd sized bulbs. If they are incandescent bulbs, then you'll have to set up all three somehow and use your thermometer and temp gun to see if they are enough.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I don't know if we are on the same page when people talk to me about black lights I think of the blacklights that make white things glow. Like if u were wearing a white shirt or something , often used in parties or such. I bought some from Walmart and they didn't work at all to keep the enclosure warm so I just turned back on the heater and turned them off. Tomorrow I get my light so I think for one night it will be okay. I understand that they have the red and black lights that emmit heat at pet stores but they aren't the same as blacklights... maybe I just had an awful blonde moment lol But the important thing is that tonight my Gupta will be warm enough. Thanks very very very much everyone for advice ,u have no idea how much I appreciate!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
By "blacklight" we mean an incandescent bulb that is made of black glass. Not a long florescent blacklight that makes things glow, which I have a feeling is what you bought. They will not heat your enclosure. The incandescent ones will. Just a regular, screw in bulb only black instead of white.

The black lights that emit heat that the pet store sells for $4-6, and the ones that they sell in the Halloween department at Walmart for $1.50 are the same thing.

TotallyTank

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
BrinnANDGupta said:
My ceramic no light heat bulb doesn't come in until Thursday so I was wondering If at night time when I am suppose to turn the UV bulb off so he can have some darkness is it okay to use a heater to keep his enclosure warm until I get the bulb?? I attached a picture of the enclosure and where the heater is and the wattage of the heater.
its a 750 or 1500 watt heater which is really high compared to the bulb I got

Sulcata baby tortoise named Gupta

i was able to go down to my local pet store and pick one up for 40$ just might want to keep it in mind if anythong happens to the one thats coming. the che saved my baby.

oh ya. i found that even with my heat right my substrate was still chilly because i also want perfect flat shell. i have a 40 gallon glass tank, i could not tell what yours is, but my substrate is a nice mildly warm damp cocunut coir, and since it has warmec up, she is barried in and sleeping.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.