Can you use a regular flood bulb for a heat lamp?

Tortoise MasterMan

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
we should get a new thread discussing what we buy from hardware stores to replace expensive "professional" reptile keeping equipment.

Really though. Most plastic tubs are better than vivariums, and most professional hides are worse than something you make.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Really though. Most plastic tubs are better than vivariums, and most professional hides are worse than something you make.
I don't agree about the tubs being better than vivariums. Not for any species. Its much easier to maintain stable conditions and either moderate or high humidity, depending on the species, in a closed chamber. Testudo and other temperate species can be successfully raised in open topped enclosures, but tropical species can't.

Tortoise MasterMan

Utah
I don't agree about the tubs being better than vivariums. Not for any species. Its much easier to maintain stable conditions and either moderate or high humidity, depending on the species, in a closed chamber. Testudo and other temperate species can be successfully raised in open topped enclosures, but tropical species can't.

True. I mostly have Russians, so I use tubs often, mainly because of the variety of shapes and sizes, as well as their inexpensiveness.

Tortoise MasterMan

Utah
A 65 watt LED would light up an entire parking lot. I have 4 pole mounted 49 watt LEDs that light up my entire 5 acre ranch at night. The labeling can be confusing. Unless we are talking about a very large bulb that lights up a large outdoor area, what you have is a 65 watt bulb "replacement'. Meaning the bulb is intended to replace the 65 watt incandescent bulb, produce a similar amount of light, but use a lot less electricity. LED bulbs don't produce heat... And they aren't 65 watts. If you read the package a little closer, you'll see that they are producing the equivalent amount of light that you'd get from an incandescent 65 watt bulb. They probably use somewhere around 9-10 watts.

I finally found where it states this on the bulb's packaging. Thanks for all your help!

ryanlocsin22

Iloilo City Philippines
I use regular 65 watt floods from the hardware store. Phillips or Sylvania. I buy them in 6 or 12 packs so I always have extras on hand. Adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. You can also go higher or lower wattage as needed to get the correct temp under your bulb.

Hi tom. im currently having problems getting a br30 incandescent flood bulb here in my country. is a regular 40w incandescent bulb and a reflector fixture good enough? this is what i foundShopee_55f5c45d21f06a4362cd5c41039bc06a.jpg

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
One thing to be aware of with HEAT lamps/ceramics is to get CERAMIC socket fixtures for these. Cheap plastic ones degrade and become brittle in time and will break apart. I USED to use these for my heat lamps years ago.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi tom. im currently having problems getting a br30 incandescent flood bulb here in my country. is a regular 40w incandescent bulb and a reflector fixture good enough? this is what i found
Those should work in a hooded fixture. You might have to move them closer to the tortoises. Your thermometer will tell you.

ryanlocsin22

Iloilo City Philippines
Those should work in a hooded fixture. You might have to move them closer to the tortoises. Your thermometer will tell you.
hi thank yoi for replying!!! can you guys help me?
i have a prebuilt open top tortoise table that i invested a lot already. so i made some revisions for the humidity. The table is 6ft x 3ft and 24inches in height. it has wheels so i can move it anywhere. it opens at the top ill be putting a screen on top.and i have a plastic to cover the top of the whole screen to make it more humid. the insides are all lined with a pond liner the area at the back which has a door that can be opened and closed to acces the small "house" for them to hide in. it is also lined with hard plastic. so moisture wont be a problem for the wood. the table will be outside in our front porch

question.how do i set my lights?

do i put a CHE inside the small #House" and then another CHE outside? plus a tubelight for lighting and a uvb t5 Ho 10.0 light plus a 50w incandescent for the basking spot? in what order do i do the lights?should i cover the entrance to the "small house" with rubber black door flaps to make it dark ? or should i use clear plastic flaps?

ive take a pic of the night time temp and humidity inside the table that is still with the sides and top open so when i close the side door and then put the plastic on the top of the screen door makes it more humid

im from the Philippines btw im new here but i learned a lot reading. so im making sure to make the most out of what i have already to make the enclosure more humid.

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_191355.jpg
    IMG_20200531_191355.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200531_175244.jpg
    IMG_20200531_175244.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200531_175337.jpg
    IMG_20200531_175337.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9