Canine Encounters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
A. I got a new little Aussie pup and we just love her. She's been here for a week now and has already learned so much. My mature Aussie, beagle, and Westie are all kind to her. I hope she grows up to be an amazing agility dog, but if she just grows to be well-behaved and a loving companion that will be wonderful too.:)
B. The woman who runs a local rescue stole two dogs from their owners. She told me she was planning to do it, didn't like the care they were getting and couldn't convince animal control to take them so she took them. She took them to a local vet, then had a friend transport them to another state. When the dogs were reported missing, the vet tech reported who had them. The dogs were returned to their owners, the friend is charged with larceny. The "rescue" lady now wonders why the vet won't write a letter for her so she can list dogs on Petfinder. How does any of this concern me? The rescue lady has control of the barn where I practice agility, the only barn in the area, so I get an earful two evenings a week. GGAAHH!! :(
C. My neighbor has been tethering his dog out each day when he goes to work. The dog is a beagle-Jack Russell cross. When first tethered he barked loudly for hours, then after a few days really settled down. My boyfriend has been taking him biscuits and I have been watching his water, and we try to keep him friendly. His howl sometimes sounds like a donkey braying, sweetly sadly hilarious. This morning a pit bull attacked him, and a Boston terrier helped. The pit had him by a back leg, didn't maintain a bite but rather kept biting. The Boston had him by the opposite ear, and the little dog couldn't do anything but bark hoarsly. I called the police, and they sent over animal control. By the time they arrived the little dog had been pulled out of his collar and across the street. He lost a lot of blood but is stable at the vet right now, and the two attacking dogs are restrained at their respective homes. AC can't pick them up without a warrant, because it was dog-on-dog. A tethered dog doesn't stand a chance:(

My neighbor just got home. He told me the little dog, Bruiser, died at the vet. RIP Bruiser.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Sorry for the loss. I don't think a dog should be tied up unless you are there with it.Leave them in the house or get a fence. When I was in elementary school a friend tied his dog outside while they were gone and for some reason the dog jumped thru the basement window. The chain wasn't long enough to reach the floor.Because of this I have never tied a dog up unless I was right there with it. Good Luck with the new pup.. Len

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree that dogs should not be tied unsupervised. One day at the grocery store, I was sitting in the car waiting for my husband when a woman pulled up and got out. Her dog was in the car, chained to the passenger door. She left the driver window all the way down. She got about half way to the building, and, you guessed it, the dog jumped. It was literally hanging itself. I jumped out of my car and I am trying to hold this 80lb dog that is scared poopless up to keep it from strangling, hollering at her the whole time... she finally got to the door and happened to turn around, and came walking back like she was out for a Sunday stroll... Some people, really. Here I am wondering if the dog is going to get so scared that I lose my face. I was sooo PO'ed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've heard many a story like that. Some people feel they just have to have a dog, then they treat it like yard furniture.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I don't tether my own dogs, ever, because of the harm that can come to them. That said, if a pit bull attacks your dog, tethered or not, even if you are present it is going to sustain significant damage. I see this as more of a "Pit bull at large" problem. I don't know how to intervene without getting myself hurt. I would take any measures possible if it were a child being attacked.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Edna, I have to disagree, and strongly. It isn't a "pitbull" problem. It is an owner problem. It wasn't the dog's fault that it was allowed to run loose, and it was only acting on instinct. Dogs are descended from wolves, and they have a territory and pack mentally. It is instinct to attack other dogs that are on the boundaries of their territories, to protect their pack. Yes, not all dogs do this, but usually because they are socialized and obedience trained. It isn't the dog's fault it didn't know any better.

It really bothers me when people blame the breed. I have known many, many wonderful, good tempered, family pits and Staffies. There is nothing wrong with the breed. Statistically there are much more dangerous dogs.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Edna said:
A. I got a new little Aussie pup and we just love her. She's been here for a week now and has already learned so much. My mature Aussie, beagle, and Westie are all kind to her. I hope she grows up to be an amazing agility dog, but if she just grows to be well-behaved and a loving companion that will be wonderful too.:)
B. The woman who runs a local rescue stole two dogs from their owners. She told me she was planning to do it, didn't like the care they were getting and couldn't convince animal control to take them so she took them. She took them to a local vet, then had a friend transport them to another state. When the dogs were reported missing, the vet tech reported who had them. The dogs were returned to their owners, the friend is charged with larceny. The "rescue" lady now wonders why the vet won't write a letter for her so she can list dogs on Petfinder. How does any of this concern me? The rescue lady has control of the barn where I practice agility, the only barn in the area, so I get an earful two evenings a week. GGAAHH!! :(
C. My neighbor has been tethering his dog out each day when he goes to work. The dog is a beagle-Jack Russell cross. When first tethered he barked loudly for hours, then after a few days really settled down. My boyfriend has been taking him biscuits and I have been watching his water, and we try to keep him friendly. His howl sometimes sounds like a donkey braying, sweetly sadly hilarious. This morning a pit bull attacked him, and a Boston terrier helped. The pit had him by a back leg, didn't maintain a bite but rather kept biting. The Boston had him by the opposite ear, and the little dog couldn't do anything but bark hoarsly. I called the police, and they sent over animal control. By the time they arrived the little dog had been pulled out of his collar and across the street. He lost a lot of blood but is stable at the vet right now, and the two attacking dogs are restrained at their respective homes. AC can't pick them up without a warrant, because it was dog-on-dog. A tethered dog doesn't stand a chance:(

My neighbor just got home. He told me the little dog, Bruiser, died at the vet. RIP Bruiser.

How awful, it is illegal in my county to tether a dog. It is considered cruel. If only they had that law where that little guy lived :(

Kristina said:
Edna, I have to disagree, and strongly. It isn't a "pitbull" problem. It is an owner problem. It wasn't the dog's fault that it was allowed to run loose, and it was only acting on instinct. Dogs are descended from wolves, and they have a territory and pack mentally. It is instinct to attack other dogs that are on the boundaries of their territories, to protect their pack. Yes, not all dogs do this, but usually because they are socialized and obedience trained. It isn't the dog's fault it didn't know any better.

It really bothers me when people blame the breed. I have known many, many wonderful, good tempered, family pits and Staffies. There is nothing wrong with the breed. Statistically there are much more dangerous dogs.

I totally agree, I have a sweet loving pit bull that wouldn't hurt a fly! It is the owner not the dog.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Here Edna, I thought this was Something interesting for you to read.

This is from a story CBSNews.com did in 2010

“A study performed by the American Veterinary Medical Association, the CDC, and the Humane Society of the United States, analyzed dog bite statistics from the last 20 years and found that the statistics don’t show that any breeds are inherently more dangerous than others. The study showed that the most popular large breed dogs at any one time were consistently on the list of breeds that bit fatally. There were a high number of fatal bites from Doberman pinschers in the 1970s, for example, because Dobermans were very popular at that time and there were more Dobermans around, and because Dobermans’ size makes their bites more dangerous. The number of fatal bites from pit bulls rose in the 1980s for the same reason, and the number of bites from Rottweilers in the 1990s. The study also noted that there are no reliable statistics for nonfatal dog bites, so there is no way to know how often smaller breeds are biting. Biting has more to do with circumstances, behavior, training (or lack thereof), and ignorance on the part of human beings.”

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
OK, so I'm supposed to believe it's PURE COINCIDENCE that the killer is a pit bull. Have it your way.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
What about the Boston Edna? It wasn't a Pit but it attacked the other dog as well. Were both from the same household?

You are completely entitled to your opinion.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Kristina said:
LMAO Jenn that picture is priceless! I love it!

Thanks:) Our little trouble maker in the back ground with his bone;)

Seriously, I suppose the same people that believe pit bulls are killers believe guns kill people by themselves also. It takes a human to train a dog and a human to pull a trigger! Nuff Said! I have been a dog trainer for 8 years and have been attacked or bit 5 times, 1 was an american eskimo, 2 were Weimeraners, 1 was a yorkshire terrier and the last was a cocker spaniel! I have trained and rescued many pit bulls and never had an aggressive one yet! However I have turned down many aggressive hounds, cockers, yorkshires, chihuahuas, etc. People are capable of ruining any breed.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Today I spent 10 minutes watching while one dog killed another dog by chewing on its hind leg. I'm going to guess that this particular PB is not trained to attack or fight because that hind-leg-chewing strategy seems pretty inefficient. The police/court system will take at least a month to get this dog impounded and destroyed. The pictures on my phone will help with that process. Until then he lives 4 houses down from me with people who are unable to restrain him and I don't feel very happy about that. The AC lady considers the Boston's role in the attack "displaced agression." His owner was ticketed for dog at large. I don't know if the police will persue that one any further.

Tethering a dog out is a legal way to confine a dog here. Victim's Rights is looking out for the man who's dog was killed. Meaning that he's considered a victim in this incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.