canoeing rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseynox

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
se michigan
so im just paddling around point mouillee (mi) and i see some splashing around on the surface so i paddle over to find a big painter caught on a fishing line he dives when he sees me i wait and wait tryin to stay in the same spot with the current so he finnally come back up i grab him, grab the line thats hooked in his mouth, break the line free from whatever it was caught on in the water i look at his mouth and he pretty much swallowed the fishhook so i threw him in the canoe and brought him home was able to get half the hook out without hurting him much he was covered in algea so scrubbed him up to find he musta been hit by a boat prop at some point it was split but it has been healing for quite some time he was over 12 inches then i let him go back in lake erie i think it was the biggest painter turtle ive seen wild
painterturtle002.jpg

nealscamera630.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lucky turtle! Great job in rescuing the turtle. ANd thanks for sharing the story and the pictures. I love a happy ending.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Good job, its wonderful that you were there and able to help!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
That is a very large Northern map turtle, Graptemys geographica, and a female. I'm glad you gave her a hand. :D

Danny

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
good job, great rescue. I miss Michigan. growing up I lived next to the woods (MY woods, thank you!) and we had ponds that sported painted turtles. Always fun to see sunning on logs, but gone in a flash .. now *my* woods is a park, all the wild ponds gone. No more turtles, no more leopard or bull frogs. no more wild strawberries. sigh.

you can never go back home........

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
What a nice gesture you did! I am sure she knows she is very lucky to have crossed your path :).

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
sharkstar said:
good job, great rescue. I miss Michigan. growing up I lived next to the woods (MY woods, thank you!) and we had ponds that sported painted turtles. Always fun to see sunning on logs, but gone in a flash .. now *my* woods is a park, all the wild ponds gone. No more turtles, no more leopard or bull frogs. no more wild strawberries. sigh.

you can never go back home........
Jeez! Where didn't you live sharkstar? Lol :p Awesome job rescuing, she was very lucky to have you.

Status
Not open for further replies.