Can't determine if this is okay to give.

Shakudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Hey everyone,

I finally found a dealer which could provide me with zoomed natural grassland tortoise food for my Russian.

Sadly they have send me zoomed natural FOREST tortoise food.

They could not get me the variant I needed because it was out of stock and not sure if they will get it again.

They said I could keep this jar, and I wonder if it's okay to give to my Russian. It seems like a shame to throw away such high quality food.

It differs a bit from the grassland variant of course.
What bugs me are the 2 fruit additives of mango and papaya which make out 1,5% of the food.

I have made a picture of the contents and nutritional value.

I'd rather use the correct variant (grassland) but I wonder if I can give this anyway. Or does the no fruit rule apply here unconditionally?

I am curious to know your opinions.
I do not want to give my girl problems. I know Russians are not suppose to eat much fruit in their diet. And I am afraid too give her this unless absolutely sure it's okay. It just doesn't sit well with me.

I am very protective about her.

Thank you

Joey

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404227480.572755.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404227495.170721.jpg

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some of that was given to me at a conference. I soaked it and mixed small amounts of it with the greens I was feeding that day to all my tortoises. I wouldn't feed it exclusively, or more than a couple of times a week, but it is fine once in a while in small amounts for any species.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's mainly for RF tortoises and other forest species that are ok eating a bit of fruit. Used the way Tom advises would be ok, as it would be like giving a small fruit treat occasionally.

Your Russian tortoise normally doesn't eat grass or hay, so trying to get him to eat the Zoo Med products is kind of a waste of money. They eat broad-leafed weeds and plants. Now if you could find a manufactured product that consists of broad-leafed weeds and plants, that would be a good one to buy for a Russian tortoise.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I have this kind and the kind for grassland tortoises and I can mix it in with Strawberry's and they still won't touch it. Even my pig like tort won't eat it. I just use Mazuri. I say that if your tort will eat it give it twice or three times a week with greens.

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Some of that was given to me at a conference. I soaked it and mixed small amounts of it with the greens I was feeding that day to all my tortoises. I wouldn't feed it exclusively, or more than a couple of times a week, but it is fine once in a while in small amounts for any species.

Thanks , I am feeding it twice a week now, mushed up over the lettuce.

She is not a big fan of it, but I give it anyway because of the fiber.

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
It's mainly for RF tortoises and other forest species that are ok eating a bit of fruit. Used the way Tom advises would be ok, as it would be like giving a small fruit treat occasionally.

Your Russian tortoise normally doesn't eat grass or hay, so trying to get him to eat the Zoo Med products is kind of a waste of money. They eat broad-leafed weeds and plants. Now if you could find a manufactured product that consists of broad-leafed weeds and plants, that would be a good one to buy for a Russian tortoise.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

I give it for the extra fiber needed, I did read that Russians need the fiber in their diet, and this food gives that fiber, plus some added vitamins and minerals. I use it like a salad dressing so to speak.

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
I have this kind and the kind for grassland tortoises and I can mix it in with Strawberry's and they still won't touch it. Even my pig like tort won't eat it. I just use Mazuri. I say that if your tort will eat it give it twice or three times a week with greens.
Thank you.

I decided to give it 2 to max 3 times a week as an extra for the fiber contained in the pellets.