Can't get a baby to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXRaunchy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas
I've had Hendrix for about a month now, he's probably 2 months old. I soak him every day for about 20-30 minutes and he poops a bit. I would then set food inside his cage hoping he'll eat. He never does, he just crawls into his hidey spot and sleeps. I have mazuri but i don't know how to feed it to him since its hard. I have tried spring mix, sliced carrots, and lettuce. Nothing happens, help! Thanks.

And I am new to the forums! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, TXRaunchy!

Do we assume from your username that you are in Texas?

After having been in this habitat for a month, he should not be stressed over the move anymore. Its imperative that you get him to eat. Try chopping up some greens into small pieces and place it at the mouth of his hiding place, then turn him around, still in the hiding place, until he's facing the food. Then step out of sight.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I have a new hermanns baby that didn't eat for four days, it was super stressful for me. I must have checked my temperatures a hundred times! I tried whole weeds, cut up weeds, puréed weeds, different types of weeds, weeds that I rubbed with pieces of apple, weeds with babyfood on them, plain baby food! He would try to eat, but just couldn't really get anything in his mouth. He was super active and I was soaking and also watched him drink water in his enclosure. I can't tell you how many pm's I sent out!

In the end I just kind of left him alone and kept sticking chopped up greens in, eventually he figured out how to get some in his mouth:). I know how stressful it is!

I would make sure your temps are in range for your species, soak, always have water and food available and back off. A month is a long time to not eat, are you certain he is not eating when you are not around?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely he is eating a little if he is pooping. Something has to go in for something to come out. Offer a bigger variety of food. Clover, endive, rose flowers, hibicus, check out thetortoisetable.org for many edible weeds, flowers, etc. optunia cactus pads are a great thing to feed. The Mazuri also, soak it in warm water to soften then feed. When wakes in the morning, give him his soak, then put him in front of the food and leave him be. Come back an hour later to check if he has eaten. Also, check out the threads at the bottom of my post. They are all great for raising a leopard. Good luck and keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.