Cant get basking temps above 85 or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

topsyturvey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Harbor Springs, Michigan
breakfast.jpgtortoise enclosure.jpg
Ive had my babies for 6 weeks, they were born in April. They are very happy and look very healthy. My setup is a 40 gal aquarium for a year or so. I live in Michigan, had them out for sun almost every day when the weather was nice. Now its cooling off here so they will be in for the winter. I am having trouble getting my basking rock up over 85 degrees. I have a powersun 100 watt UVB bulb over the rock. I have plexiglass over the basking side to keep the humidity up. on the hide side i have an under aquarium heater and a CHE on a thermostat. Should I add maybe another bulb on a clamp to get the basking temps up closer to 100?

Last edited by a moderator:

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
You could get another bulb, yes. The Zoo Med Basking bulbs are really great for producing some heat, but that 100-Watt Powersun should be more than adequate, I would think... How far from the basking rock is you light, anyway you could put it closer? I realize this may be difficult with the aquarium setup, it looks like you have a screen on top?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just lower your bulb until you get the right temp. If your bulb is shining through a sheet of plexi, that will remove all of your UV and a significant portion of your heat to. Covering the top is great, but there needs to be an opening for your bulbs to shine into.

I also recommend a real closed in humid hide and a bigger, but more shallow water dish.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
First, I think that you need to remove the plexiglass from underneath the basking bulb- plexi absorbs just about 100% of the UVB that your bulb is producing, making that bulb nothing more than a very expensive spot lamp. If you shift your lamps around a little bit you might be able to keep it in the middle without affecting the lights. Once the plexi is moved you can try lowering the bulb a couple inches and see if that helps raise the basking temp. I would also recommend putting your CHE in a fixture with a cage on it, but that's more fire prevention than husbandry per se. If that doesn't work, can you move the tortoises into a room that you can raise the temperature in? It gets easier to create basking spots when the ambient is higher.
-------------------------------------------
Looks like Tom beat me to it...

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Lower the Zoomed lamp stand into the tank and put a thermometer/hygrometer on the glass above the chips. Then you'll know the values of your hot spot.

Worry about the hot spot only as they will regulate their own body temps by moving about.

It's a good idea get a second thermometer/hygrometer to know the values near the hides. It's not science as you are trying to regulate temperature and humidity in an open container.

Deep chips that are moistened will keep your babies shells smooth. They are not tropical so don't over water and create mold.

topsyturvey

5 Year Member
Harbor Springs, Michigan
Thanks, i took the plexi off and lowered the powersun bulb, I can trim the plexiglass some so should still get some benefit for humidity. I haven't found the perfect water dish yet, I want one thats functional and also nice to look at, my aquarium is the focus of the room, thats why I like the logs for hides as well. I have a heating pad under the logs and keep the moss moist in the hides.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
topsyturvey said:
Thanks, i took the plexi off and lowered the powersun bulb, I can trim the plexiglass some so should still get some benefit for humidity. I haven't found the perfect water dish yet, I want one thats functional and also nice to look at, my aquarium is the focus of the room, thats why I like the logs for hides as well. I have a heating pad under the logs and keep the moss moist in the hides.

My experience with plexiglass is that it can be a bit difficult to cut - it's very brittle and cracks easily when "jarred" by a saw or drill bit. I cut a hole in my plexiglass for my UVB bulb with a "hole-cut" drill bit, it isn't pretty, but it is functional. You'll notice the crack, that was from the very first cut where I was being a bit too rough (See pic below). You have to go slow and smooth with it or find someone with experience (I say DIY).

If you crack it, drill a small hole at the terminus, it will cease the crack from continuing.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
For the first 2 years you can over winter the kids. Then you can hibernate them in the basement. Search for hibernating in the appropriate forum on this site.

You can also send an email to MSU Herpetology. They told me how to hibernate my Snaps when I lived in Central MI.

I might be wrong but your Torts might hibernate in the crisper drawer. :)

Give them all the whole greens they can eat and maybe you can send me some dandy lion seeds?

I cannot believe after all the years of choking them out of my lawns I move to the desert and have to pay for the dandy lion greens at the store. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.