Can't Get Cactus To Grow

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Georgia
So I have tried for 2 years now to grow spineless prickly pear cactus to no avail. I must be doing something wrong. I live in South Georgia so climate shouldn't be an issue. Can anyone help?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Use cactus soil mix (sold in its own bag at most nurseries). When you water it, water it well the first time and then let it get dried out, then water again and let it dry out. It should thrive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where and how are you trying to grow it? Indoors, outdoors? What isn't working? Is it dying off, or just sitting there not growing?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I live near Atlanta and I've had no problem growing it. Are you trying to grow it outside or inside?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'm growing some that I bought off of eBay way up here in NH ... it's inside for now, of course.

I cut the pads, left them overnight them stuck them in organic soil, and watered them lightly once or twice a week ... they did nothing for weeks, then started growing little nubbins.

When is consistently above freezing at night I'll move the pot they're in outside.

Jamie

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
South Georgia
Where and how are you trying to grow it? Indoors, outdoors? What isn't working? Is it dying off, or just sitting there not growing?
I am trying to grow it outdoors in my backyard. I just dug a hole in the ground, placed the cactus pad in, and filled the hole with the same dirt I dug. It's just seems to die off. Last year I got a nub or two then it died...

Relic

Here
Decades ago on a trip to Disneyland, there was a very large spineless opuntia cactus in the courtyard of our hotel. Consumed with lust I broke off a pad and brought it home. I dug a slit in an out-of-the-way portion of the yard and planted it. Lots of sun, no sprinkler, and a hot concrete driveway adjacent to it. It grew like a weed. I broke off pads from it and planted it in other places in the yard - some shadier, some exposed to regular sprinkler activity, some surrounded by other plants. They all grew like weeds, bloom every spring, and generally irritate my wife who is not such a cactus fan. Even unobserved pads that broke off and fell to the ground would eventually send out roots from the backside and begin growing. Some winters that drop temps into the very low 20's or teens can damage the joints between the pads, causing the limbs to sag and many to eventually break off when the weather warms back up. But vigorous growth resumes every spring, and the broken limb itself can be planted elsewhere.

Freshly broken pads need a week or so of time for the wet wound to dry and scab over before planting. Then insert the pad about a third of its height into the ground (I usually place a rock on each side of the pad to hold it vertical until it is rooted). More sun is better than less sun; neglect is better than over-attentive watering, fertilizing, etc.

Good luck and don't give up.

turtles11756

Levittown,ny
the roots (cactus) will rot if wet/cold during winter. start pads in a clay flower pot in sunlight keep soil dry if the pad hardens up it is taking. water when it gets warmer along in spring .some pads will take others will rot

Lesa

Louisville, KY
I started a few years ago with four pads off eBay. Now my cacti grow so crazy I can’t give enough away. The most important thing when you cut a fresh pad is to let it sit and for the cut to heal over. At least a week until it is good and dry. You can let it sit for a couple of months and it will still grow. I mix half sand and half organic soil. Stick your pad cut side down about a third into the soil. I use pebbles around the base to hold it until the roots take hold. This works for jade plants and a few other succulents. The cut has to dry out and heal or the plant will rot. My cacti are on my front porch and love the morning sun. When it’s hot in the summer I give them a good soak once a week. I bring them all inside once the temps go down into the fifties at night. When I bring them back outside after winter I keep them in indirect light for a coupe of weeks so they are not shocked with too much direct sunshine. I usually don’t plant in the yard because I am in Kentucky and we get too much rainfall but I tried a patch last summer and they grew like mad. I have about 10 giant pots like below in my house and 2 at my office. I gave away 5 or 6 before winter because I had so many I ran out of room. Good luck

Attachments

• CED9B57D-0608-45BE-AFF0-1819699DEFD6.jpeg
    CED9B57D-0608-45BE-AFF0-1819699DEFD6.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 45

Kathy V

Los Angeles
Prickly pear cactus should be able to stay outside in 50 degree temps. I lived in Tucson for a few years and the lows during the winter months are usually in the 40s and can drop into the 20s (sometimes it even snows). The native prickly pear could handle it just fine. I think the biggest challenge with prickly pear is too much moisture and humidity. The southwestern states where these cacti are native often go six months without rain and the air is extremely dry. One of the pros at the cactus nursery told me the leading cause of dying cactus, especially potted ones, is over-watering.

Lots of sun and heat with minimal water is best for prickly pear. Relic, it sounds like you have the perfect environment. The heat coming off of your concrete driveway may be giving it the extra boost it needs.

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
South Georgia
I am ordering more and going to try again. I think I am going to try several different ways this time. Try some straight planting outside, try some in pots outdoors and some in pots indoors. If I can just get one good rooted and growing, I'll be happy.

Lesa

Louisville, KY
Maybe because mine are all in pots that the cold is harsher. I left one out outside when temps might have reached the 30’s and it looked freezer burned. The base turned white and a good outer layer flaked off. It took a few years to recover but it’s growing. Any advice on aloe? Mine has grown so large the leaves and bending under the weight. I was waiting until spring to repot but I might have to cut some before they break.

The third picture is a different type I started last year. You can see the pads are stuck almost halfway. It just started to sprout some babies this winter. It sits in a window and gets afternoon sun.

Attachments

• 8CAB3689-4936-4C7B-9224-0D9C27CA142D.jpeg
    8CAB3689-4936-4C7B-9224-0D9C27CA142D.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 37
  • FF72A1CE-DFBC-4211-865B-B869C7689DA5.jpeg
    FF72A1CE-DFBC-4211-865B-B869C7689DA5.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 37
  • B5CF2D5B-9788-4A7E-8970-D0FD11D45CB1.jpeg
    B5CF2D5B-9788-4A7E-8970-D0FD11D45CB1.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Kathy V

Los Angeles
Jennifer, that sounds like a good plan to try a bunch of different planting methods. Eventually one will stick. Once they take off they grow like crazy. Prickly pear will grow well from seeds too, though it requires a bit more patience. Once they sprout they'll grow pretty quickly, though.

Lesa, yes, I think potted plants are more vulnerable to cold. Native cactus have an established root system that probably helps to protect them.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I actually found some spineless opuntia (which, as i understand, is a cultivar) growing wild here 20+ years ago and planted some in a few places, and more places since. I am in Zone 6B and it gets down to zero F some years. Some of the pads will get mushy or dried out looking from such cold but the plants always bounce back.

And remember the old adage: Succulents do not put out roots in RESPONSE to water; they put them out in SEARCH of water.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I am ordering more and going to try again. I think I am going to try several different ways this time. Try some straight planting outside, try some in pots outdoors and some in pots indoors. If I can just get one good rooted and growing, I'll be happy.
Hi Jennifer, I live in that part of North Florida that is more like South Georgia than anything else. :)

Make sure you aren't trying to grow opuntia in red Georgia clay. Opuntia really needs soil with more sand or other amendment to ensure good drainage. Don't drown it, don't let it stay wet at the base or ground level, or you risk it turning to mush. It needs a sunny or mostly sunny exposure, and leave it exposed to the open sky overhead so it gets rained on.

Before you "plant" it, let it cure, let it develop a calloused edge wherever there may have been an open wound. And by "plant" it, just lay the cactus pad on well draining soil in a sunny area. You don't have bury any of it, at all. From there, just neglect it, forget about it, and let it surprise you.

Relic

Here
Jennifer, that sounds like a good plan to try a bunch of different planting methods. Eventually one will stick. Once they take off they grow like crazy. Prickly pear will grow well from seeds too, though it requires a bit more patience. Once they sprout they'll grow pretty quickly, though.

Lesa, yes, I think potted plants are more vulnerable to cold. Native cactus have an established root system that probably helps to protect them.

I see what you did there...talking about cactus..."Eventually one will stick."

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
opuntia.jpg

No sand? No problem. I had a sunny patch of SLOPED barren clay with tough weeds and grasses on it. Mowed it and covered with small wood chips. After a few months started sticking in pads. I didn't even bother to cure the ends i don't think, just stuck them in the aging chips. Added a bit of urine occasionally for nitrogen.
Most of the pads took and i have a little patch started. These here are a couple of the ones which have gone thru 2 winters, plus there are some i only planted last year.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Stop working so hard ! Just lay them down on some soil ! In 2-3 weeks you will notice some roots then plant it and once a week give it a shoot of water . Cause most people over water them .[emoji217]

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I mixed some play sand in soil and planted a pad. Grew pretty good. Unfortunately it rained and the soil stayed wet when I had it outside. That with cold temps killed it off. I just ordered more so I’m going to try again.