Can't get my red foot to eat

Janelle Green

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi I got a red foot a 2 year old a week ago and she's barely ate since I got her . Sometimes she'll eat cucumber out of my hand and tomatoes but that's it . I'm very worried she's not eating much and I have her humidity and temp perfect. Should I try to find mazuri? Does petsmart or petco sell it ?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I can understand your being worried, but do not forget that torts take time to adapt to a new environment. :)

Please keep us updated, and hope to hear your tort has changed her mind soon. ;)

Janelle Green

Colorado
I can understand your being worried, but do not forget that torts take time to adapt to a new environment. :)

Please keep us updated, and hope to hear your tort has changed her mind soon. ;)
I think I'm going to break down and go buy some mazuri today add that to her fresh greens

Janelle Green

Colorado
Sounds good but I wouldn't feed to much tomatoes as they can be toxic
I know :( I just ordered 5lbs of mazuri so hopefully she'll eat some of that when we get it. I'm trying everything I've been out shopping few times for food for her I don't do pellets only fresh so it's going to kill me to feed her some maZrui but I'm going to add a little to her food just few times a week hopefully gets her to eat her greens

Janelle Green

Colorado
Omg she just had a bath and now is eating !! I am so happy I did a little dance ☺️ Finally warming up to us and fresh food. I also think having my humidity set perfect now helped to because when I first got her I had no idea I was getting her my husband surprised me so for few days I had to spray her enclosure down and that didn't work I also had 3 water dishes and plants still at 60 so think now it's at 83 for 4 days straight she's becoming active again and eating

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Redfoots are usually pretty voracious. If you know what she was eating before you might want to mix in the foods she was getting with her new foods.

Janelle Green

Colorado
image.jpeg
Redfoots are usually pretty voracious. If you know what she was eating before you might want to mix in the foods she was getting with her new foods.
I have no idea what she was eating :( my husband got her at repticon and surprised me with her, I am going to track down the reptile store and ask. I ordered mazuri so we'll try that in the fresh food , she'll only eat cucumbers right now and little Apple and I don't know if it's ok to feed her alot of cucumber ? So I just gave her a tiny piece and she ate it up today but that's all she's had to eat today So worried and scared she looks healthy though smooth shell. That's Foxy she's in her outdoor enclosure right now

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Cucumbers are fine, but they can have a laxative effect. Redfoots have a wide variety of foods they can eat. Mazuri works wonders, as does smashed banana, sweet potato babyfood or other sticky things to make them eat their greens.

It would take weeks if not months for her to starve so keep offering food, make sure shes hydrated and don't worry too much.

Janelle Green

Colorado
Cucumbers are fine, but they can have a laxative effect. Redfoots have a wide variety of foods they can eat. Mazuri works wonders, as does smashed banana, sweet potato babyfood or other sticky things to make them eat their greens.

It would take weeks if not months for her to starve so keep offering food, make sure shes hydrated and don't worry too much.
Thank you so much for the help! I have a baby so I have baby food always :) haha omg she did poop so much the other day in the bath. My friend on ig can't get her red foot hatchling to eat her humidity just got at 70 and won't go higher he also just pooped for the first time today . Should she be worried ?

My now 7 month old wouldn't eat a ton when she was younger so when I would go and soak her I would put some greens in the water with and she would eat.

Janelle Green

Colorado
By the way, very nice looking tort you have there that shell is perfect
Thank you isn't she gorgeous! That's why we named her Foxy lol and were getting a year old male this week from Az Sulcata naming him Casper and his shell is just gorgeous to nice and smooth ❤️

Janelle Green

Colorado
My now 7 month old wouldn't eat a ton when she was younger so when I would go and soak her I would put some greens in the water with and she would eat.
Thank u for the tip I am going to try that ! I'm to scared to get a hatchling I like the yearlings nice and sturdy lol but one day I will have hatchlings of my own and I've been doing a lot of research but that won't be for few years. I have 1 male Russian 2 yearling Russian females and 1 red foot female 2years old and soon 1 male red foot slightly over 1 year old ❤️I quarantine my tortoises and have them separated except my two hatchling Russians I've had them for few months now got them from a good friend whose Russian pair had babies . They'll be 1 Dec 5th ☺️

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
How do you know their males and females yet? Temp sexing isn't 100%

Janelle Green

Colorado
How do you know their males and females yet? Temp sexing isn't 100%
I wasn't temp sexing I don't know their temps and this is what the breeder is going off of and what they are seeming to be now but never is 100% when their young . Good breeders have an idea of what they are at over a year old