Cant get russian to eat

lukepop789

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
New here and to tortoise keeping, I just bought a russian, assuming it is wild caught, and built him an enclosure that is roughly 6ft by 3ft. I have a solar glow bulb on one side, 165w that keeps the hot side in the 90's and the cool side stays in the mid 70's. I have a hide on either side. I have soaked him a couple of time for about 15 minutes hoping that would help, I have tried feeding all different kinds of greens including hibiscus which i have heard they really like. However I can not get him to eat at all. He moves around some when I am not around, and i try not to bother him much as I know they are sensitive to stress, I keep may other reptiles. it has been 4 days. Any tips for getting him to eat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Brand-new-to-you russian tortoises do much better when set up in an outdoor enclosure. Any chance of that happening? I'm assuming this tortoise came from a pet store. This means he's wild caught. You should offer him the same foods the pet store fed them just to get him started eating again. It sometimes takes a couple weeks to get a new tortoise to settle in and start eating, but Russian tortoises require a pretty big space and I'm not sure 6x3 is big enough.

Chances are the pet store was feeding them what we refer to as "fruity pebbles." That's the manufactured tortoise pellets in different colors. You can also offer him things on the do-not-feed list like ice berg lettuce and cucumber, just to get him going. Once he's eating you can slowly wean him off those foods and onto a better diet.

Take a look at our care sheet for other feeding ideas: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

lukepop789

Michigan
as of now it isnt getting much over 70 outside right now, with nights in the 40's and 50's. and it is only getting colder. I bought this tortoise from underground reptiles. so it was shipped here, and after asking them for advice on getting him to eat I am regretting buying from them at all. the told me to never soak him and feed him things like strawberries. as of now the tortoise is maybe 4 maybe 5in long. Should I still consider a larger enclosure right now?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those temperatures are fine for a russian tortoise. He's almost full grown at that size. Yes, in the wild they wander great distances looking for food, and, even though food is now provided for him in one spot, he still is hard wired to wander. Plus, lots of walking aids their digestion. (well, if he ever eats, that is!)

The main thing right now is to keep things the same so he can get used to his new territory. Think about 'outside' and 'larger indoor quarters' for next year. Just keep things as they are for now and let him get used to living there in his new territory. Keep to a routine. Handle him a little to get him used to you. Soaking occasionally (maybe about once a week) - yes, but strawberries - no.

Go ahead and offer him the things I mentioned above just to get him started eating. You can add zucchini to that too; anything just to get him started eating.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Your tortoise can do very well outside my in the 70s, so long as there are sunny periods. Their shells are built to retain heat. If you have an infrared heat gun--and you should-- you can measure the heat at the top of the carapace and see how they crank it up.

It's a cool 73 where my tortoise is resting now, in the shade. On the sunny ground next to her it's 126.

I wouldn't worry about four days without eating, that's pretty normal for a tortoise that has gone through some stress. Take Yvonne's advice and give him some space.

I do think his heat bulb should go up to 95 degree, not ninety.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00837ZGRY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

lukepop789

Michigan
He ate for the first time today, only one small slice of cucumber, but it is something! hopefully he is getting a little more used to his enclosure and will start eating more. I will definitely look into doing an outside enclosure for next summer. Thank you guys for your help, I will keep posted on whether he starts eating more or not.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sometimes you can get a confused or sick animal to eat by offering a tiny bit of something not entirely good for the species. Such as a Russian eating strawberry.
Hopefully that's what UNDERGROUND REPTILES meant.
But I've about lost faith with Riann and his whole business.