Can't ID these plants

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
I am in process of finding every single eatable thing thing for my sullys (and future leopards) that's in my yard. I have found the majority that I questioned but a few, I couldn't nail down. I think I might have found some but not 100% so I wanted to double check. Can anyone help me ID these and tell me if their eatable (for sullys and leopard)
Number 1:image.jpg
Number 2: this one is growing in a tree, and it has little tiny berry type clusters. image.jpg
Number 3:
image.jpg
Number 4:
image.jpg
Number 5: I'm thinking this one might b a type of dand
image.jpg
Any ID will be greatly appreciated.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Number two looks like grape leaves. Is that growing from your neighbors yard? They do grow pretty wild. My parents grow it and that's what it looks like. Someone else can confirm it for you. Number 5 looks edible.

———-------------------------
(This is my signature)
Here's some great plant identification websites I use.

http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/diet.htm#plantlist

http://africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp
Thanks for the links I will check them out.
As for #2, no it's not in neighbors yard. It just popped up in a tree into yard. It's all over it. There are little berry looking things in clusters too. I have lived here for 5 years and no one has planted any grape vines there, or myw
#1 might be purslane. And I agree with @Blake m
ia that safe for my sullys and Leo to eat?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
If someone can confirm that it's purslane, then yes, it's edible. And wild grape doesn't seem to actually produce fruit, to my very limited knowledge. They have the tiny clusters that do nothing. I have tons growing on my fence.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
If someone can confirm that it's purslane, then yes, it's edible. And wild grape doesn't seem to actually produce fruit, to my very limited knowledge. They have the tiny clusters that do nothing. I have tons growing on my fence.
That matches mine as well.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
#1: Purslane (not sure if it's safe)
#5: looks like bristly ox tongue (safe, but some torts won't like texture)

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I would think it would be ok then? Is it ok for the torts?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
#2 is some sort of grape. (Fox grape?)I've got them growing here and although they are 100% edible, my Redfoots don't eat them. Not all grapes look like the ones at the grocery store. Some are very small. Even tiny. Most are never seen for sale as food. Mine are Muscadines I imported from South Carolina. They are marble sized. Fox grapes and another that I can't think of at the moment are "B.B." sized at best.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
#2 is wild grape, #1 look like a jade type plat? If you break it does white stuff ooze out? #3I have some, and my sulcata likes to eat it, but my russain eats only sometimes. I've smelled it before, and it doesn't smell like much, so it might not be mint. #4 no idea :D

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
#2 is wild grape, #1 look like a jade type plat? If you break it does white stuff ooze out? #3I have some, and my sulcata likes to eat it, but my russain eats only sometimes. I've smelled it before, and it doesn't smell like much, so it might not be mint. #4 no idea :D
1 is purslane, found it under common yard weeds site. 3, it don't smell like mint.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
1 is purslane, found it under common yard weeds site. 3, it don't smell like mint.
Purslane is okay then. I don't think it does either, but it kinda looks like mint... fuzzy and soft :D whatever it is, my torts are okay with eating it, which fabulous, because it grows in numerous quantities!

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Ok guys, you were so helpful with the last plants I couldn't ID, I have some more. The first one I think is goathead??
The second one I thought was mallow, it just showed up in my yard a week or two ago.
And the third, no clue. Can't find anything that looks like it.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Purslane is okay then. I don't think it does either, but it kinda looks like mint... fuzzy and soft :D whatever it is, my torts are okay with eating it, which fabulous, because it grows in numerous quantities!
Purslane grows naturally with me, I just water and it sprouts naturally. Its easy to propagate, just take a cutting and put it into soil that is always moist :)

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Purslane grows naturally with me, I just water and it sprouts naturally. Its easy to propagate, just take a cutting and put it into soil that is always moist :)
It just naturally pops up all over my yard. I cut it back, give it to the torts and twice as much comes back in that spot. I think it might work kinda like a stool softner tho. Last time I have it to the quads, Callie are the majority of it, she might have shared a quarter of it with the other 3 and the next two days she had semi watery poos. Nothing to be concerned about (for me that's saying something) but I noticed the difference. So now if I think one has had their share, I cut them off. Lol.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Ok I have another one I can't find. This one just showed up since the weather has gotten cooler.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
New winter weeds, I have attempted to ID but haven't had any luck. Can anyone help? Please!!
Number1
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418083165.675914.jpg
Number2ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418083253.641801.jpg
Number3
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418083340.341830.jpg
Number4
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418083404.440878.jpg
Number5
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418083484.290882.jpg

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I've lost track of the numbers already. #4 might be nightshade. That's a no no. Is it a vine? Purple berries & small bright yellow flowers? Nightshade is the only plant that has leaves, fruits & berries all at the same time, although not all the time.

In the section of new winter weeds, 3 is creeping Charlie. Another no.