Can't Make Sense of this Behavior

rmn813

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Right at the tail end of the summer season, I noticed my 10 year old male Leopard not moving around much. Throughout the summer he does his typical Leopard behavior by spending most of the day grazing. 3-4 days went by and no movement. I took him in and had his blood and fecal tested. Totally normal and healthy. I kept him inside for a few days in a small heated enclosure. He ate very well. I figured he was fine so I took him back out to his outdoor area. He goes to find a place to hide and doesn't move for days. I think he'd sit there for weeks if I let him. The only time he'll eat is if a place food right in front of him. I've tried several different pen options, giving him control of the whole yard. I've placed him by himself and with my other Leopard. There's no change. Has any experienced any similar types of behaviors? If so, what did you do about it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are the temperatures like? Where does he sleep at night and what is the low temperature there?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
When this behavior started, was he in an enclosure just for him or does he share with one other leopard? You mentioned that you’ve tried with just him and with the other leopard is why I ask.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My first thought was he had gotten cold clear down to his inner core.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
When this behavior started, was he in an enclosure just for him or does he share with one other leopard? You mentioned that you’ve tried with just him and with the other leopard is why I ask.
When it started, it shared a large portion of the yard with another leopard. There has been no change in the other leopard's behavior. I separated them to experiment and see if it would help change the behavior of the tortoise in question.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
My first thought was he had gotten cold clear down to his inner core.
That was my first thought as well. I've brought him inside in order to better control the temps, and be able to provide him with higher temps through the winter, but unfortunately no change.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Leopard tortoise occupy an extremely large range in Africa. Several "varieties" are from areas around South Africa. It gets quite cold there and they have evolved into dealing with this by becoming inactive during the winter months. Photoperiod becomes a big consideration in those latitudes as well. I would ensure you are providing a good 14 hours of good quality lighting along with temps above 80° to encourage good activity and feeding.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Leopard tortoise occupy an extremely large range in Africa. Several "varieties" are from areas around South Africa. It gets quite cold there and they have evolved into dealing with this by becoming inactive during the winter months. Photoperiod becomes a big consideration in those latitudes as well. I would ensure you are providing a good 14 hours of good quality lighting along with temps above 80° to encourage good activity and feeding.
Maybe it is just a seasonal issue. Once the summer season kicks back on, hopefully he goes back to his normal self. Time will tell.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Maybe it is just a seasonal issue. Once the summer season kicks back on, hopefully he goes back to his normal self. Time will tell.
A combination of photoperiod and temperatures is the most likely issue. For my outside tortoises I have lights in their night boxes to increase the photoperiod over winter.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
A combination of photoperiod and temperatures is the most likely issue. For my outside tortoises I have lights in their night boxes to increase the photoperiod over winter.
Thanks @Markw84. I had not considered the photoperiod issue. Looking back at my notes, the change took place right before daylight savings.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Interestingly, just like clock work, when the time change took place over this past weekend, he's eating on his own, grazing and being active. It's like his clock turned off with the fall time change. Then turned back on when the spring time change.