Can't wait for the new boxie eggs to hatch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
Well..... The more developed egg that hatched on 01/01 (which I had seen and felt movement) is not caving in :( :(
I fear he has died for some reason. :( The new egg (hatched on Feb7th) is progressing good, but hasn't hatched yet. It is growing well....

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
foxboysracing said:
Well..... The more developed egg that hatched on 01/01 (which I had seen and felt movement) is not caving in :( :(
I fear he has died for some reason. :( The new egg (hatched on Feb7th) is progressing good, but hasn't hatched yet. It is growing well....

Huh? do you mean "laid" not hatched?????? the new egg HATCHED on feb 7th is progressing good but hasnt HATCHED yet? im confuzzeld

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
So Sorry... I was on my lunch and hadn't been on in awhile. I saw your post and went to reply and a client of mine showed up for their appointment. I was swype texting really fast and it came out wrong, and apparently my brain kept saying hatched for laid too. UGH.... :(
So, here it goes again...

Gradually the other eggs had caved in that were not fertile, or were not right. That left the really nicely developing one. He was doing fantastic.... and then it started caving on the sides and bottom a little. I increased the humidity and was watching it even more closely. It has not restored its old shape. It is almost like it is sucked in and not caved in. It has now been over 2 weeks like this, and I think it has died. :( Very sad... I will leave him in their just in case.
The newest egg that proved to be fertile( the one with the small embryo in the picture) is doing well. You can see a turtle inside, and it moves its arms and legs and head with the light. Very cool. :) He appears to be doing well other than growing in the end of the egg and not the top like he was originally. I can see a tiny round shell. So fun!!

This weekend my incubator started malfunctioning when only my son was home. One of the times he checked it, it was at 70, he called me and put a light above it and tried to warm the whole area until we got back from California. I got home and plugged it into a different outlet and it works fine. It is back up to the 82 I keep it at. I saw the little guy move in the egg last night for a second, so I think he is fine. :) :) Let's hope he doesn't cave in like the other one.

Sorry I haven't been on lately.... Dawn

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
thats SUPER sad! what is the humidity at? if the temp went down to 70 im sure everything will continue to be fine in nature there are major fluctuations in temp from day to day and from day to night, especially if you consider how far north their natural range extends. im glad the one egg is active and well formed :) what type of incubator are you using? and were these eggs from your TT's or your EB's?

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I heard that if the egg is turned the baby inside can drown..is that true???

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
I have an inexpensive hovabator incubator. I keep it at 82 degrees and i try for 80-85 percent humidity. I think the lowest I have ever seen my humidity is at 70 percent and I got it right back up. I think the outlet went out or something. My son said it wouldn't warm up past 70, and yet when I got home and I plugged it to the other half of the outlet and it warmed right up..??..
I think the younger egg will be fine, although he does have a small dent on the bottom of the shell which has me concerned.
I wonder if what jojodesca said happened. I haven't wanted to say that, but in the back of my mind I wonder if I inadvertently did that...... :( I have stressed about that numerous times. :(

jojodesca said:
Maybe?? Sadly, I really hope I didn't do that... :(

On another note.. Due to this being somewhat near you, I thought I should mention... When I was in Red Bluff this last weekend, there is a pet store I usually go to. I almost wanted to cry. Last year I bought two of their turtles because I felt bad for them. 1 adult three toe and 1 hatchling ebt that had horrible shell deformities like he was wearing a sombrero. It was sad, but he is doing better and growing steadily.
Well.... this trip, they had an adult male 3 toe I really wanted to take home. He seemed healthy, eating and not swollen or any URI. But... he had shell rot, chew marks and clear tooth puncture marks that were totally healed. They also had 6-8 little hatchlings and most had deformed shells, and two were just as bad as the one I bought last year...... SO SAD.... I almost cried....
I spoke with the owner about how bad they looked.... I wish he wouldn't buy from where he is buying.... :( I am sure they would just sell them elsewhere, but it is just horrible how they looked. If I could have taken them all home, I would have. I crushed me to know the people who buy them may not know that they have super special needs RIGHT NOW, or they may now make it.... So very sad! :(

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
well there is a fine line between turning (rotating) and moving obviosly they shouldnt be moved unless absolutly nessisary, i had to move my eggs when they substrate developed a slight fuzzy mold, and they are still good. so i wouldnt question yourself at this point, many times they just dont develop, this could be due to fertility (really old females contune to lay but all are nearly doomed not to hatch because of her fertility) this might be what happend :(

your incubator setup sounds good and the fact your other egg is growing fine i dont think you did anything to hurt them

As far as the petstore goes... :( thats super sad, i havnt seen a petstore sell boxies in a long time in fact the only one i can remeber has closed down. if it is indeed a petstore selling hatchlings somthing could be done seeing as it is techniqly illigal to sell turtles under 4 inces for pets (the way around it is being sold for scientific or educational purposes) < educational indeed :) we all learn from our turts LOL> its unfortunate that this guy is buying and selling turts that are obvisly in need of some serious help. perhaps he buys them at discount for that reason and simply doesnt care :(

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
jojodesca said:

I think it can rupture the veins in the egg to move it around ..

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Yea ~ I knew that they have to be placed EXACTLY like they were and no different due to the air 'sack' being attached to the top of the egg. I had been SUPER DUPER careful. But, maybe I wasn't careful enough.... The new egg, I am only checking on it one every week or two to check for growth so I don''t hurt it. It is ok, although it has a dent in the bottom. :(
I did change the substrate today.Before I could only find the really fine sandy vermiculite, and it is very dense. Today, I found the super soft fluffy bigger chunky vermiculite so I super carefully changed it.
I may or may not have accidentally caused the 01/01 egg to die, but either way, I am bummed and I am determined to not do that again if at all possible. My fingers are crossed this 2/07 egg will keep growing for me. :)

turtleman 2 - How are your eggs doing?

Dawn

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
mine are doing good and i too actually had to move all the eggs into individual deli cups, as i didnt want the first to hatch and hurt the rest, they are doing goo teo have signs of viens while the other 3 are just eggie :), im sorry about your other ones :( it might not have been you at all it may have just been infertile or not meant to be :'(

jojo has been buggin me to get pictures up of my crew so ill post pics of the eggs as well whenever i get to it :) LOL

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
That is very possible too. I had others, earlier on, that had veins and looked fertile and never did anything and eventually caved in. Sometimes things just aren't meant to be... I agree. That's natures way. I can deal with that. But, I want to make sure I didnt do it. :(

I am so happy some of your eggs are doing great! That is promising :) :) :)

The best of luck to you and your "babies" .

Dawn

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
thank you! i hope my guys (hopefully girls) all develope and that your follow up clutches remain fertile and hatch into adorible little shelled critters

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
:( :( :( :( :(
unfortunately no. They were growing and doing well, and then just caved in and quit. Not sure why. This newest egg, wasn't even handled at all.
I did get a new egg, and it looks fantastic and all..... but it has been 2 weeks and no veins. :( so, it's not fertile. ugh.... More should be coming soon I hope, and I will try again.

I haven't been on here as much lately. Its been sunny and I have so much outside work in the evening when its nice out. But, I got on for a few minutes the other day and saw that it looked like you may have gotten a baby!!! :) :) :)
Also, that you got a few new Gulf Coast Boxies?? Very cool. I have one now too. I had to repo it. :(
Also, I heard a blipit about you may be moving. really? where to?

Talk to you soon,

Dawn

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Thats wierd! Ive had three total eggs cave in early on (under 30 days) but that is out of 11 total with two having hatched. I hope you left the one egg in there, as i havnt been seeing much of anything until the half way mark for my incubater which is about 30 days.

Im sorry your eggs havnt been doing so well :(

I know what you mean by not coming on as much in the summer, Buuuut i end up checking it morning and night anyways since im sent an email notification when someone posts a new thread or replys to one ive writtin in, so i get on often.

I did get a baby in fact i got twoooooo :) !!! Lady Bug hatched on the 15th and polywog on the 23rd (she was laid in the water bowel and i thought for sure she was not going to make it but, she did :p ) we are keeping these two forever :), then the next ones that hatch i have an uncle in Washington who wants one along with a neighbor down here.

As for the new Gulfs I posted a wanted ad just putting my feelers out there and a man down in California replied i looked up a few reviews on him and eventually after many emails and pictures picked out 1.2 as a thank you he sent along a 0.1 sub adult with stunning coloring. She was being grown out because fo her colors, im very happy with them :)

Is the Gulf Coast you repo'ed the one that they said sorry but all it wanted to eat was worms?

Do you have FB dawn?

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Hi again,

Yea. I left the egg in the incubator. It has a beautiful yoke, but no activity. I won't dare take it out until it is obviously done. :(

I am SOOO happy for you. It's exciting that you have two new babies. YIPPEE! So very exciting. :) I know just getting the ones I have had when they are quarter sized is very exciting. I can't imagine from day one. So envious right now. hahaha

Although, I did just hatch 5 baby chicks that I found the eggs in my barn. So fun! and I now have 19 pheasant eggs in my incubator. I must be crazy! lol

Yea Georginnia is the one I took back due to them keeping her indoors and only feeding her worms. Yea, she is doing good and eating much more and growing. I just wish her shell would grow ore to fit her body. I also wish I had the money to get the vet to fix her broken leg. She gets around ok, I just wish I could do that for her. ..

I saw a few pix of your new turtles and they look striking!! absolutely gorgeous! I was jealous. haha. You got lucky there. :)

Yes, I am on facebook as Dawn Potts Fox. I usually check on it almost daily. :)

Maybe we could let our TTBT's share some bloodlines some day.

Talk to you soon :cool:

Dawn

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Thats good maybe this is the one that is destined to hatch? Not much we can do to aid in the incubation :(

To tell you the truth is is nerve racking... Did they eat, because they arent eating from what i can see... where are they (dug down somewhere..), temp humidity light etc lol im a wreck!

Well thats cool! My wife and i have had alot of pets over the years, hatching poultry eggs has been largly unsucessful for us :( we were always using DIY incubators though....

I hope Georginnia grows into her shell, the unfortunate thing about turtles is more often then not the damage simply cannot be undone..... not to mention the cost of vet care....

Which turtles are striking? i think they all are :) hahaha

"Maybe we could let our TTBT's share some bloodlines some day"
That would be good both my males readily breed after a day or two by themselves :)

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
My make is a total perv. He pesters the females daily. Sometimes when I feed them, if he is sleeping, I don't even wake him so the girls can eat in peace. Sad but true. My juvenile ebt is a male and he is really bright. Can't wait for him to be able to hang with bumblebee. Maybe they would make pretty babies. ;)
I actually like caring for babies more. Not sure why. The babies are just simple and irresistible.

Status
Not open for further replies.