Cap those corners!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Knoell

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Laveen, AZ
Hello!

I wanted to share some photos I took while out feeding and watering our pens yesterday. One of our Herman's Tortoises was caught climbing the corner wall of her pen. As you can see she wedged herself and began to "walk" up the wall! Fortunately I when I built the pen I covered the corner with a lip on the top of the wall. When she reached the top she could go no further and tumbled back down...lol. Without the lip I'm sure she'd have gotten out!

clmwall1.jpg

clmwall2.jpg

clmwall3.jpg

clmwall4.jpg

clmwall5.jpg

clmwall6.jpg

Greg Knoell

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Wow, that is really good climbing! Amazing!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Excellent pictures!! Box turtles are especially good at corner climbing too!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I've heard this about Russians too, and warned my husband that when we build the Russian pen something will have to be done to cap the corners. Great pics!

Kristina

Destiny

5 Year Member
Palm Bay, FL
Wow!! That is perfect that you were there to get the pics. What an athlete!

CoryCrandall

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Hah! A real-life ninja turtle. I always knew they were really tortoises in disguise. Great pics.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
Wow! Those claws they have sure are handy. Reminds me of those boot hook thingys the telephone men wear on their shoes when they climb the poles. Great pictures, thanks!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I was sitting here looking at these pictures again, and thought ...what an important post this is. These pictures are great, and they show how a tortoise....and even a boxie can escape without a problem. Anyone building a pen should see these pictures. Really a great post.

Greg Knoell

10 Year Member!
Laveen, AZ
Thanks for all the complements. I couldn't believe I caught it with the camera, The whole event was about 15-20 seconds. Makes you think what these guys are doing when they aren't being watched!

Greg Knoell
www.thecoloreddragon.com

MadLoca

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
wow so now i know how my turtle out......spider turtle lol

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
Thanks for posting this, Ichabod also has a corner climbing skill, I'm glad I am not alone in my corner caps! :)

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I love the pictures. My 1 yr old Herman Shelby that i got on Tuesday has been trying this most off today but the wood is too slippy so he can not get going but he keeps trying he walks from one corner to the other and keep trying he as fallen on to his back twice trying and that worrys me abit as i go out tomorrow for a few hours and i am scared he will not be able to correct himself i had to help him both times today, i spent ages making hills and a second hide that he can walk up a ramp to try and keep him busy but the litle devil now uses the hide top to try and climb the other corner, he thinks he is spiderman lol

Status
Not open for further replies.