Carapace irregular in places - Western Hermann's

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The general silence from others appeared to possibly signify something possibly ominous! - its typical i would imagine the worst.

On this forum, silence usually means we don't have an answer or solution to your problem. Rest assured...if we saw something ominous, we'd be all over it.

FWIW, I also think Oogy is gorgeous just the way he is. I'm one of those folks who like aberrant scutes. I find them interesting.

I think you'll find this thread interesting.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Other members have apparently misinterpreted your first post and have been responding with husbandry questions in order to help you with the keeping of the tortoise. The asymmetry and irregularity in the sizes and shapes of the scutes on your tortoise are purely cosmetic. You may rest assured that there are no known health problems associated with extra and/or abnormally shaped scutes.

Pyramiding of the scutes IS an indication of husbandry issues, and there does seem to be a bit of that starting to become evident on your tortoise. The other members' recommendations based on your photos and your answers to their questions can help you to overcome that situation.
I am so sorry for my seeming impatience (not the case) to be honest I was mainly adding (better) photos thinking they would be viewed at once by other people whenever they chose to dip in here. I wasn't demanding attention but as you'll have noted my query was a bit clumsily worded. Equally - I had totally forgotten it is a Holiday weekend there - Happy Thanksgiving, everyone celebrating that, and pardon me for the regular bumps on the thread!
Onto your reply above: I thank you most sincerely for the detailed reply, particularly coming on the above mentioned weekend !
I will note points carefully and i will add any actual new info which seems relevant here (rather than any more photos)
Again sorry for overkill ... i don't hit 'reply' usually precisely because i don't want to disturb people with notifications! I can see why it makes sense now though.
regards, Burn
Bmatic, I can totally relate to your hunger for answers, and upon reading your post, I personally did not get a "demanding" situation from you. AND as Tom &
zovick etc. had mentioned, I think it is purely cosmetic by now. I get the impression that your Oogy's life has not been affected by this unique pattern. So just embrace Her/His Uniqueness, at least till some other health issue crops up. Wishing you & your Tort the best!

Bmatic

London UK
I think you'll find this thread interesting.

Thanks!! That's a great thread, completely up my street. I've only managed to check out the first page so far and it's been the best. Thanks :)
@MenagerieGrl, absolutely agree, & thanks for your kind message.
@Yvonne G ...Zipper is a stunning tortoise! Wow.

Bmatic

London UK
So, after consulting that thread further it seems Oogy joins a long, handsome & honourable list of those with extra and/or split scutes. He's the tortoise with Crazy Paving on his back.

Plus, of course, he might turn out to be a she.