Care sheet about tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
How come many care sheets are saying different things? well, I've decided to get a Hermann, because I love them, on the other hand, they are small, good for person who is live in a condo like me.
but the store that selling me tortoise told me they also have Indian star, and said star is small size of tortoise too.......
so when I search online for star tort care sheet, some says they can grow up to 15"(I take female as example, same specie), some says, they will have 10" when fully grown, some even saying that they only have 8".... so I am curious which is true./....u know, few inch can make a lot of different. same as temp
moreover, when I look at the temp and hum level, different web care sheet saying different things.(this base on all kind of tort, not just star)

P.S.it would be great that someone can share his/her own experience of how to raise an Indian star.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
The length will just be inconsistencies based on individual experiences and mis-information. I know nothing about Stars myself so can't offer more detailed info.

As for the actual care, there is no set way to care for a tortoise of any species. Nobody knows tortoise husbandry as an exact science. It's all down to experience, and different people do different things. The best thing to do is read a variety of sources, form your own care sheet based on what you've read and what sounds most suitable for you, your lifestyle and your environment, then adapt it when you realise that your tortoise has a mind of his/her own and might not agree with what you've read. :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most actual care sheets were written a while ago and husbandry practices have changed in the meantime. But usually the discrepancy is because in order to provide what the tortoise needs, folks in different parts of the world have to go about it differently. Someone who lives in the desert can't provide the exact same type of care that someone who lives in the jungles of South America provides. So we all have to improvise.

The main thing is to try to understand what the tortoise needs to live a long and healthy life, and provide that - no matter what it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.