Care Sheet Bowsprit Tortoises

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Well I have listened to the warm dry story thats preached more often and it hasent worked for me. Ready to do something different!!! The definition if insanity is to keep doing the same that doesn’t work LOL!!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I’d be more than willing to contribute to a care sheet Dan. I’ve gotten multiple animals to thrive beautifully here and clearly my issue does not rest with getting them to breed and lay fertile eggs, it rests at hatching them successfully. We’ve got yet another fertile egg here developing nicely and maybe the nighttime drop will do the trick this time.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I’d be more than willing to contribute to a care sheet Dan. I’ve gotten multiple animals to thrive beautifully here and clearly my issue does not rest with getting them to breed and lay fertile eggs, it rests at hatching them successfully. We’ve got yet another fertile egg here developing nicely and maybe the nighttime drop will do the trick this time.
I hope that the egg hatches successfully. Holding thumbs.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Thanks Chris. That would certainly be valuable. Though the CAWG is brand new, the fact is that 3 members of the group have been keeping angulata for years. Perhaps we can start by outlining the husbandry techniques used by each of you (each from different climates) and the results you have seen. How about I reach out to each of you individually, and assemble a group of case studies that we can standardize and post here. We can then add to those as we bring more animals and keepers into the mix.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thanks Chris. That would certainly be valuable. Though the CAWG is brand new, the fact is that 3 members of the group have been keeping angulata for years. Perhaps we can start by outlining the husbandry techniques used by each of you (each from different climates) and the results you have seen. How about I reach out to each of you individually, and assemble a group of case studies that we can standardize and post here. We can then add to those as we bring more animals and keepers into the mix.
Hi Dan
Off topic slightly but what is the correct pronounciation for Angulata Chersina. Do you pronounce it the same way you read it?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Hi Dan
Off topic slightly but what is the correct pronounciation for Angulata Chersina. Do you pronounce it the same way you read it?
Carol,
Being from South Africa, I would say however you pronounce would be correct ;-) But, you would put the genus first, so Chersina angulata. I personally pronounce it as I read it, but that has no bearing on whats correct. Even "Bowsprit". The "Bow" comes from the bow of a boat referencing the gular protrusion, not the bow in "bow and arrow", but most people pronounce it like "bow and arrow".

One common name everyone seems to pronounce the same is "Angulate".

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Carol,
Being from South Africa, I would say however you pronounce would be correct ;-) But, you would put the genus first, so Chersina angulata. I personally pronounce it as I read it, but that has no bearing on whats correct. Even "Bowsprit". The "Bow" comes from the bow of a boat referencing the gular protrusion, not the bow in "bow and arrow", but most people pronounce it like "bow and arrow".

Okay. I was checking because someone corrected my pronounciation to "Angulate" so I was wondering if I had it wrong.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Okay. I was checking because someone corrected my pronounciation to "Angulate" so I was wondering if I had it wrong.

Angulate would pertain to one of the common names this species is given. Angulata is the second part of its scientific name.

Bowsprit tortoise, Angulate tortoise, and even “Rooipens” are names given to them, however, their scientific name Chersina angulata remains the same regardless of which common title we give them.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The person at the time was actually arguing with me that for a hatchling I needed to start off with a small enclosure and then go bigger later. So when I said Angulata she corrected my pronounciation to Angulate. As I wasn't sure if I was saying it correctly I couldnt argue the point.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Angulate would pertain to one of the common names this species is given. Angulata is the second part of its scientific name.

Bowsprit tortoise, Angulate tortoise, and even “Rooipens” are names given to them, however, their scientific name Chersina angulata remains the same regardless of which common title we give them.
At least now I know for sure. Thank you

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Carol,

And thank you Dan

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The person at the time was actually arguing with me that for a hatchling I needed to start off with a small enclosure and then go bigger later. So when I said Angulata she corrected my pronounciation to Angulate. As I wasn't sure if I was saying it correctly I couldnt argue the point.

You can say it anyway you want as long as you keep posting pics for us! :D We all know what you are talking about. :tort: