Careers in Herpetology?

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
I would like to have a career that is based around turtles and/or herpetology. Does anyone know any occupations that relates? & What should someone do if they're interested in turtles? I know, for most people, it'll always remain a hobby but I'd like it to be more than that. I'm just not sure where to start.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Some universities offer a zoology major. You can take courses in herpetology and volunteer with professors who do field work with herps. Zoos also offer internships and volunteer oppurtunities.

State and federal governments employ herpetologists to conduct studies on native and invasive wildlife. I know someone who does surveys on invasive reptile populations in the Florida everglades.

If you are interested in academic herpetology, you could puruse a PhD, where you would conduct your own research. Professors have websites which display their research if you want to get a feel for what they do.

If you are more interested in captive herps, zoos employ herpetologists. There are jobs posted here http://www.aza.org/joblistings/ if you want to see the typical requirements for these jobs and what the work entails. Herpetologists can work as keepers or curators at the zoo.

Note that this is not a field you pursue for the money (it is not uncommon for entry zookeepers to make near minimum wage even with a 4 year degree and a few internships). There are also many paths that can lead you to a career with herps. Many of these jobs like to see a 4 year degree though. It might be a good idea to major in biology/zoology and take a second major in something like computer science, statistics, or geographic information systems, which is both complimentary to your herpetology aspirations and a lucrative fallback if you are unable to find any herpetology jobs.